1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hiwatt Custom 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bhass, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    I tried a Hiwatt 200 (for bass) the other day and I really liked the clean tone. Now when looking on the net I saw a Custom 100 (DE-103) for guitar, and wondered what it sounds like in comparison. Hiwatt used to be all purpose right? I'm looking for enough power to keep up in a blues band. Clean tone too!

Anyone had experience?

2. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    a hiwatt 100 will bring it, especially with the right cab(s). hell yes it will!

3. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Will it 'bring it' with a single 115?
    + Thanks for the quick response.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I bet it'd sound cool. Why not get the 200 watter for bass?

5. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Price. It's as simple as that.
    300 quid could be spent elsewhere if the Custom 100 would suffice.

6. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Can I get me a bump?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only you can answer that. Got a big enough cab it probably would be fine. I gigged for years in loud rock bands with a V4B and an 810. But you'll forget about the money long before you'll forget that you could have gotten 100w more :bassist:

8. p58

p58

Dec 17, 2005
    Slovakia
    friend of mine has 35 years old 100w Hiwatt de103. I´ve tried it thru my ampeg 8x10 with MIJ jazz. well, it was excellent for sort of vintage music, but I wasn´t very confident with the low end and headroom - it´s more powerfull than my former fender bassman 100, but it wasn´t still clean enough in high volume. 200w version is for sure more versatile for bass players, but i would think about it only if i would play music like the clash, the who or some weird progrock stuff :D it wasn´t my cup of tea for styles like funk or pop. but for someone could be :) those amps are cool and very reliable

9. jtb

jtb

Apr 27, 2008
    London and Bangkok
    Wise words.

10. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    the guy is playing in a blues band. typically 100watts will certainly bring it unless it's on the very loud blues-rock side if the fence.

single 15? an eminence 3015 in a single ev tl-606 style cab or a bag end s15l-d would Kill with that head, fugghettaboutit. there's other options if you want to go diy, like bill fitzmaurice

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I use to play with a guitarist who had a HiWatt 100. His was one of the loudest amps I ever heard. This was many years ago, but Marshall stacks and Ampeg SVTs could not really keep up with his particular amp.

12. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Thanks for the replies.
    Sounds like the DR103 suits me. Although what JimmyM said seems to make a lot of sense.

Let's just say if I was using the DR103, what would be some suitable cabs? Bearing in mind that I live in the UK, and most of the brands mentioned on TB seem out of my reach. Is the Hiwatt 115 too little?

13. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
  14. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Are they available in the UK?
    Also, am I correct in thinking that they are 100 watts less than the Hiwatt 115?

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not to put you off Hiwatt... but I know a guy in the UK that is using some pretty killer Matamp stuff.

16. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    I'm not fixed on any certain brand. I'm open to any suggestions!

17. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    I was actually planning on buying two OBC115's with an Orange head until I heard the Hiwatt sound.

Sounds like a good idea.

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The Orange 15" cab is amazing - I own one - it's the best cab I've ever heard.

19. +1 new matamp stuff ***** all over the new hiwatt stuff, the newer hiwatt stuff isn't very impressive at all

20. Aren't they manufactured in the UK? I have the DR103 as the typical British sound in my mind (besides Orange/Matamp of course)...