1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hiwatt DR-201 how loud can these get for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefty_400, Jun 17, 2007.

1. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    4x KT-88s locked and loaded...

Obviously "loud" is relative term; i.e. Wives/Girlfriends definition of "loud" is a B-100 ampeg on 7 "...But this IS my practice amp" ;)

But lets say in comparison to a Mesa 400+ (which I own), how does a Hiwatt DR-201 stack up in terms of headroom? Basically where the tone is still fat and round, maybe a little bit of drive, but short of out and out farty fuzz bass.

Lefty

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    bump and subscribed

3. Well, I have a Hiwatt DR201 modded Sound City L200+ which is basically an exact copy of the original DR201 and it is more than loud enough for any situation.
    4 KT88's put out a ton of power and it can probably hang with a SS amp in the 1000 watt range no problem. I have no problem keeping up with a full band with a super hard hitting drummer and two 100 watt Marshall half stacks.
    It's a very conservative 200 watts, probably closer to 300 if you put it on a scope and measure it. It sounds wonderful when pushed into breakup as well.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    John Entwistle used one along with a DR103 for his bass rig, along with 4 4x12s (sometimes two 4x12s and two 4x15s) in 1970 to keep up with Pete Townshend's dual Hiwatt 100-watt full stacks. And this was to play stadiums. He had no trouble keeping up, but often times, the PA system had trouble! :p

5. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    How about DR103s for that matter? How is the headroom on these amps before they enter the fuzzy fart-bass zone if paired with a modern speaker cab (ie Mesa 4x10)?

With Hiwatt's conservative ratings system, perhaps I am underestimating a DR103 as an option for a 'British' all-tube bass rig...

Its just that I can't imagine 100 watts, albeit tube watts, not choking and slipping into that overly saturated fuzz bass sound (no offense to those who enjoy that sound :D ). I do like driven sounds if I really dig in, but under normal finger attack prefer the sound warm and round with only a slight bite to the note.

Any insights?

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A 100-watt amp is a 100-watt amp, no matter how conservative the rating is. However, Hiwatts do sound better driven. They don't fart like other amps do. :p

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021