Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HiWatt DR 201 on eBay!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    You should pick it up man... What EXACTLY is so good about these though, I havn't heard much of them... :).

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, it's just all tube goodyness at it's best, IMO. I just need to find some funds now. As long as someone can verify that it's an older, true HiWatt and not one of the newer versions, I think I'll try to raise funds for it...

Ray

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    EL34 put out about 30 - 35 watts each... so like it's model name, it's ~200 watts

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    If you listen to old Who stuff (where I mostly know this from), these are the amps you hear.

Ray

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ah, always correcting my tube lack of knowledge. Which ones put out 50W each then? I'm obviously confused...

Ray

Edit: I was thinking 6550s, huh?

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    This is a REAL deal Hiwatt. I've owned several DR-201's over the years, and they're wonderful amps. I prefer the model with 4 KT-88's though. Most of those had the "bass voiced" preamp mod done at the factory. I've found the 6 EL-34 models to be a little thinner and brighter.
    The buy it now price of $1800.00 is not out of line. I sold my last one 2 years ago for $2500.00, and had a bunch of people that wanted it if the buyer flaked.
    Corey

8. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Personally I prefer the 6550's to the EL-34's. The EL-34's sound amazing for guitar, smooth and creamy. Not much good for bass though, IMO. They lack that serious low end "thump" that the 6550's provide.

Didn't HiWatt suffer from the same problems that Marshall did for a while? When they ended up subbing tubes, they didn't bias the amps correctly before they went out? So if you have a 6550 version that isn't doing quite what you want, maybe all it'll take is a little resistor tweak to bring it up to snuff?

What do you guys think about the EL-34 for bass?

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Interesting read - I thought HiWatt was gone long ago. Does somebody else own these guys, or is it Highlight Electronics? Anyone know for sure?

Ray

11. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway