Hiwatt DR103 with a bass (YouTube)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SeaK, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey there!

I dunno if this would be something that I should post on the Recordings -forum - if so, mods please feel free to move it there.

I recently bought a Hiwatt DR103 from 1972 and since I wasn´t able to find a clip of a Hiwatt played with a bass on YouTube, I decided to make one. Here it is: Hiwatt DR103 -72 played with a bass - YouTube

I had just got the amp in my hands as I started playing it so it might not give full justice to the amp but at least you get some kind of a picture how it sounds like with a bass. It´s recorded with an iPhone so the sound quality is not top notch either. Still hope it´ll be useful to some.

2. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Welcome to the Hiwatt club! Sounds slick.

3. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
  4. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I LOVE HIWATT w/ bass. i actually prefer the two hole versions tone to the 4 hole even though 99% of people love the 4 hole

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Sounded cool, especially using both channels, but much to my surprise I liked the Ampeg a bit more.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yeah me too, the peg even made him play better :cool:

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Interesting- what are you hearing that you prefer?

8. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    The 4 hole has more head room but tonally I thought the 2 hole sounded better. Just IMO.

9. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    hiwatt sounds better than ampeg in this case... think more full tone and crispier and crunchier. for his style the hiwatt is it! And i own ampeg.

10. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Yes'um 103 is the gui**** players CIMG0890.gif

11. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ok allow me to elaborate that - no clips in which a Hiwatt is played by a bass player soloed outside band context.

12. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    It might be that it's just a more familiar territory for me as I've done countless gigs with it that made me play better. I think that I was also digging in a bit more with the Hiwatt because I kinda subconsciously wanted to get more grind out of it. Then again, might be that it was just because it was the last clip and my fingers had warmed up - I've been playing terrible little lately :(

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Just the Hiwatt seemed a little scooped to me.

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    While I love love Enwistle's tone on Live at Leeds and really his playing, Hiwatts are easily capable of hifi rich fat warm with clarity. No compressed or gritty grind. They could do that at massive volume.

15. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
  16. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    It is very much scooped. Not Fender style but the tone stack has a big built in mid scoop. I think it makes it sound "glassy" (what ever that means).

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021