Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hiwatt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Sep 21, 2005.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    so i recently had some experience with a hiwatt amp, and am curiosu if anybody else likes these? are they available anywhere other than ordiering straight from the company?

2. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Well music 123 carries one. Its pretty expensive, actually its the most expensive head they have.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I didn't even know Hiwatt made a bass amp!!!! :eek:

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i actually played a hiwatt guitar amo through my ampeg 8x10, and compared with my GK/sansamp setup it sounded amazing. but they do make a 200 watt head, its the same head just more watts. im prety sure a 100 watt hiwatt would get the job done just fine.

5. Bump.

Old Hiwatts are multi purpose amps. They can be used for both guitar and bass... I've seen some bands use them onstage through SVT810E cabs. Always sounded very nice. Tubes rule.

6. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i have never heard a tube amp blow away the sansamp until i played the hiwatt. someone needs to sell me one.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Many consider the higher power Hiwatts to be up in the "holy grail" tone category with the greyface SVTs and Trace V8s.

8. What tube amps did YOU try? :eyebrow:

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hiwatts are probably the only amp i'd take over my Sunns. Live at Leeds, anyone? Enough said.
    [​IMG]

10. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    the recent ampeg svt classic didnt do anything for me

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Sunns, Hiwatts, and Traynors are the only amps I will run...good luck on affording a new (or even used) Hiwatt without selling a kidney.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So that's the only tube amp you've tried?

Neither the SansAmp nor the SVT-CL do anything for me either.

13. The sansamp i like, but the SVT-CL, well, its just not like a real SVT :(

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I saw an old Floyd vid & Waters was using a Hiwatt. Not sure of the type. Does anyone know what type of pre/pwr tube arrangement they had?

~S~

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Waters supposedly used DR201s with 4xKT88s, Gilmour however used modified DR103s, with 4xEL34s, later with an Alembic FX-1 as a preamp for guitar straight into the hiwatts! He also used a myriad of effects. Both heads had 4xECC83s in the preamp, or possibly 3 ECC83 & 1xECC81 (they're interchangeable).

16. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    A company named Reeves is selling licensed Hiwatt amps in the US right now. They are identical to Hiwatts, they just say "REEVES" in Hiwatt script on them instead of Hiwatt. Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick is using Reeves amps currently.

Entwistle used Hiwatts from late '68 until '71, I believe, when he went with Sunn.

17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Sean, Thanks! Gilmore used an FX-1 w/Hiwatt pwr! WOW! Wonder what cabs they used?...

Does anyone have a site for Reeves?

cheers,
    ~S~

18. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Hiwatt are currently owned by The Music Ground (a small music retailer chain) and their site can be found at http://www.hiwatt.co.uk/ . Since I have a Music Ground store about 30 mins by train from me I have seen their gear, some of it is massive, there's one stack there that's about 7 feet high, quite an amazing sight. Have never had a chance to play through one though, they're in a seperate "vintage" upstairs area and it's almost more of a musem (stuff like origional early Marshals, beat up hammond organs etc.) and there aren't really many basses up there and I'd be too scared to break anything lol. They rarely seem to sell much from upstairs but it's pretty damn cool, they have a Union Jack Hiwatt full stack as featured on Hiwatt's homepage. Man do those amps have presence. Hiwatt were origionally an independant British company but they went bankrupt years ago and Music Ground bought them.

Btw, just noticed on the site, they do 400 watt all valve heads! Now I bet that would have the windows breaking.

19. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE