Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HIWATT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jul 25, 2000.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´d like to know your opinions about these tubeheads. Can I use them with my bass?
    I saw a bassist once using the custom 100 and it sounded great. It´s the coolest looking amp out there!!!

2. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I agree they look mighty cool. Well I recently aquired a Hiwatt 50Watt head (for free, yes that rules!). I think it sounds great. It can be used for bass, I think it was originally intended to be an all pupose head.

For my taste the eq needs to be adjusted a little bit, it has a real fender bassman sound (which I like), but the mid range and the presence seemed to do nothing for the sound. I was told that this is because of how they wire up the eq, (for example if you trun down the high you get more bass, if you turn down the bass you get more mid). So I'm having the centre frquencies shifted around a bit.

I found the 50watt breaks up too early, so I'm having it converted to a 100w using 6L6's (I believe). The guy that's doing it for me rules. I can sit at his house and play it, if I don't like it, he rewires it until I do, for free. He's real cheap too, I think 300CAN for the mods, including powers transformers, caps, tubes, labour etc.

I'm using the Hiwatt to power an Eden 2*10xlt, and a SVT to power 2*15 mesa/boggie, run at the same time. It should sound killer. (the SVT wouldn't run it all)

I can tell you how it sounds when I get it back, I just started this project 2 days ago. I should get it back Sept 10.

In conclusion, try it out I think you'll like it.

Ps I have a thread about this called
    Hot Rodding HighWatts.

You'll see what people think of my mods, he he he.

3. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    I have used Hiwatt, Marshall, Ampeg V4, and Sound City 100 watt tube lead heads over the years. I think they are great. You do limit your range of sounds a bit compaired to something with the EQ curve designed for bass. But if it's what your looking for, get it. (IMO) A Rick 4001 + Marshall head + 4x12 cabinets = "I'm the bass player, but I ain't just standing in the back."

4. John Wetton used a Hiwatt 100W head with King Crimson in the '70s, and had a HUGE tone. If you don't believe me, go to your local music shop and get a copy of _The Night Watch_.
    His setup was:
    Fender P with roundwounds
    Fuzz pedal (Big Muff Pi, IIRC)
    Hiwatt 100W bass head
    2x15 sealed speaker cabinet with JBLs

Words cannot describe how powerful he sounded. King Crimson had a very thin sound since Robert Fripp didn't use tube distortion, just a Big Muff, and the supa-dupa-fatness of Wetton's tone (as well as his monster chops) really helped to fill out the mix.

Linnin likes this.
  5. Have ventured out of the Rumble Club, saw the Hiwatt thread.
    Thought I'd just recall ...... way back in the day, I had a Hiwatt 200watt head (yes, I think they were a rare breed) It went through one 4x12 cab ( can't remember what was in it) & two 1x18 sealed cabs (JBL's)
    That was pretty serious for the time ......plenty of low end, fond memories.

interp likes this.
  6. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Holy necro-bump!

7. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    No poopie, 14 year old thread!

8. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    This seems INSANE.:wideyed:

9. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Vintage Hiwatt DR-201 or DR-405
    New Reeves Custom 225 or 400.

Both two channels, all tube, bullet proof , mil spec turret board construction.

The finest bass/guitar amps ever built.

bassplayer65 likes this.
  10. Samson, I guess it does sound a little over the top but you have to remember I had this in the very early 70's, no big PA's to compensate then ......also (no being very tech minded) the performance of early gear left a little bit to be desired.
    It could shake things of the walls in smaller halls & certainly flap the trousers, that was enjoyable ..... I believe the Hiwatt head was model DR201, if you peeked inside, the way it was put together was amazing, almost military spec IMHO. Wish I had been able to keep all my old stuff ...... always needed the trade in value, same old story. I envy bass players in the later years, the gear now is amazing. Now I'm in my twilight years (playing wise) I just play for fun now with a few guys so only need a little Fender Rumble 75 .....does the job.
    Still think back to the old Watkins (WEM), Selmers, Hiwatts, Sunn & Trace Elliots with fondness.

11. Yes, Hiwatt Heads were the same for guitar or bass but the cabinets were specific to bass or guitar. Here is me in the barracks in Germany, having a chilly lager after picking up my stack in London in 1972, a 100 watt head with 2 - 4 X 12 Bass Cabinets:

Hi Watt.jpg

I never wanted anything pointed directly at my ears (still don't) the cymbals are damaging enough, so I ended up using a cabinet on each side of the drummer and it was still plenty loud enough. Nice amp for sure.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

12. BassHappy, good to see that rig, had the same but a little later on, seem to recall they made two different rated 4x12's cabs.
    Interesting thing, when I saw the date, reminded me I was playing in Germany 1968/69 in & around Stuttgart ....American bases, maybe you were even based there!! Keep the low end going ....

samson3382 likes this.
  13. Hey BassPlayer

Yeah, the cabinets were the deal - there were the standard guitar cabs and the heavier duty cabinets with different speakers designed for bass. I was just after you in Kaiserslautern, 1972-73. Love Germany, still try to get back over there at least every two years, more often if I can manage it.

I rocked a couple of service clubs myself playing in Arthur Conley's band (Sweet Soul Music) and did a concert at the Kaiserslautern Entertainment Center in 1973, which was a big deal at the time.

I am sure the GI's appreciated your efforts. We were so starved for a bit of Americana music at that time...

BassHappy

bassplayer65 likes this.
  14. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I have nothing but fond memories of living in Wurzburg and Aschaffenburg fall '66 through fall '67
    Mom bought my '66 Hofner 500/1 for my 14th B-Day July '67.

My first working band played several times at the NCO club at Ft. Belvoir, circa '73

bassplayer65 likes this.
  15. That shirt definitely proves it was indeed 1972!

16. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I think those are bell bottom trousers too.

17. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Just for perspective.

Jethro Tull as I saw them with Hiwatt rigs.

18. Cannot believe all this (FFTT/BassHappy)what a small world & I thought I was the only oldie out there on this site !! No offence meant ......
    Yes, Jethro ...... was backstage at Royal Albert Hall, they were heading a tour with Ten Years After & Clouds ......Clouds, first of the progressive rock bands ...... playing Hammond organ, bass & drums ....they were a massive influence on the Nice (what was to evolve into Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
    They toured the US inc, Filimore etc.....still remain good friends with Billy Ritchie ( keyboards)
    Digressing slightly, sorry .......yeah, they were using Hiwatt from what I remember ........oh ...FFTT had the very same Hofner as well. Wish I had been able to keep it ...ah well.

19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I transitioned from a Marshall Major stack paired with a SVT rig about 6 years ago. I always wanted Hiwatt never could find it or afford it. Then came the internet. I love my Hiwatt rig! The DR201 is from Slades backline. [​IMG]

bassplayer65 likes this.
  20. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Alexandria Roller Rink, Yes doing their debut album opening for Jethro Tull, Aqualung Tour! !!!!!!!!!

What a SHOW!

bassplayer65 likes this.