Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hm, Head+Cab setting up??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I've never had anything but a combo. And I am looking to get a head and cab this summer.

(Hopefully selling my SWR LA-15 to NewBassPlayer66 (Tyler Hole)).

But anyway, I don't really know how to set it up, the two setups I am looking to get are:
    Ampeg SVT 8x10 + SWR 750x (?)
    Or
    Avatar B410, Avatar B115, SWR 750x
    Not sure on either, but its somewhere
    But I really don't know how they setup, plugs, wires?? _-soto-_

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Whoo boy... that 8x10's going to be heavy compared to the LA-15. You might want to consider that. All you'll need is a good speaker cable. 1/4 inch, or speakon, depending on the outputs/inputs on the head and cab.

3. i too think that the 8X10 is gonna be very heavy, i think you're better off with the 4x10 + 1X15 IMO

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm to the point, where, I want to get really good equipment, so that I won't have to buy anymore for a while. Well so I won't NEED to buy any. But I would just get that 8x10, a head, and probably a rack tuner, and it would be really cool to get a wireless unit from ebay for like 50 dollars. I don't have all the money in the world, so I have to make it count.
    _-soto-_

5. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If your strapped for cash, go for the Avatar set up, you can break it down, only use one of them for smaller gigs, and give the most bang for your buck. Only problem you might have is that they are more of a midsy kinda cab from what I've heard, and from the freq' ratings on the sight I read.

I myself am definatly going to go for a speaker stack from him, though I'm thinking of a 2x10 and a 15 or 2x12 from him, going to go for a carvin head though for money reasons as well. Or a nice used Ampeg/SWR if I can find one.

6. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Agree with coldyintiger

i use a Carvin R1000 through an Ampeg 8x10, and it kills. but there is always that small gig where you haul in that baby and the sound guy looks at you like "your kidding right?" and you get no pa mix cause the thing is so damn loud for gigs.

the carvin head is a very good buy, very versatile, cheap, rliable and powerful. as for cabs, i would like to try the avatars and get 2 2x12s and use just 1 for those small gigs. once you buy this you wont need to upgrade for a long time.

hooking up a stack is easy. plug in bass to head, plug head output to speaker cab.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I agree, go with the 4x10/1x15 instead of the 8x10. You wouldn't need that fridge unless you're playing a big venue anyway.

8. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I dunno, are you sure? I hear that the Avatar 4x10 gets 1400wattsRMS, and the 1x15 gets 600wattsRMS, so if I got an 8ohm in both of those, how loud would they be at 4ohms (hooked up to the same head together).
    I just don't want to have waisted any money, and have to buy something else some other time.
    I also want some INSANE!!!! headroom, i'm sick of all this fuzz and *h*t, it sucks. I want something CRYSTAL CLEAR, and that could overpower the guitar AND drums (Not that I would need to, but just to have it there). _-soto-_

9. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I think the 4x10+1x15 at 4 ohms would be plenty. I am SURE there are TB ppl who have the avatar 4x10 and are more than happy with it as a stand alone (do an avatar search).

Sure, the 8x10 would be louder since it has more speaker cone surface area. but do you REALLY need all that power, all the tiime? up to you. While it would be very cool to have a rig that could demolish small buildings, keep in mind that you also have to move it everywhere and there is such thing as overkill for a gig. what if you play a friend's house party... your rig would take up half the living room!! ;)

So, you decide. You've gotten a few opinions, but if you want the 8x10, go for it and tell us how it is! I don't think you'd be disappointed either way.

10. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ugh... I don't know...
    _-soto-_

11. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    hmm...

maybe try this... but first, disclaimer: I don't know how the 8x10 works or sounds, so this is made under the assumption a 8x10 is very similar to 2 4x10s. ok, so maybe you could get a 4x10 and see how you like it. If you think you could use more bottom end, then get a 1x15 or 2x12, whatever. Or, if you think 10's are enough (and still want more volume), then get another 4x10. It would probably be a little more expensive than straight up getting a 8x10, but it would be more versatile (you could even go stereo if you wanted to), more portable, and you could decide after you've tried it out a bit.

or just use and/or abuse GC's return policy (10 day i think?)...Avatar has a 10-day, but you have to pay shipping.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, ideally you should try both rigs and see which one you prefer.

After you try to lift the 8x10, you might feel differently. I agree that that would be overkill for many gigs. For smaller gigs and rehearsals, you can just bring one cab and your back will love you for it.

If you are playing a venue that requires something as big as an 8x10 and somehow the 4x10+1x15 isn't enough (maybe, if you're playing at a football stadium...), you can go through the PA as well. I've been doing that for years and have thus been able to keep up with guitarists' Marshall 4x12 half-stacks using only a 150-watt Ampeg B3 combo.