Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmm. am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Sep 29, 2005.

1. I want a really spacy effect for a riff I have, I have a fuzz, chorus and delay going when I do it, but something is missing. I tried envelope filter and it's ok, but I wanted something else. I have a flanger, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for. What spacey effects do you normally use with that setting?

2. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    phaser

3. Yup! +1 on phaser.

I always turn to my Red Witch Moon Phaser when the song calls for spacey riffage.

4. im gonna agree on the phaser...i had a LOT of fun running my prunes and custard into my roland ap-2...mmm spacey crazy goodness

5. Love those phasers! MXR-90 is the way!

6. yeah, but I tried my boss ph-3 phase, didn't really help, maybe I'm just not cool on the settings. any help?

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you're after a rapidly oscillating sound that sounds like a bad 60s "ray gun" sound then you want a phaser (fast speed, high depth and regen settings) . You can also set your phaser for very slow rate with medium depth and light regen (sorry MXR 90 users) to give you that hint of spaciness in your sound.

For those arriving UFO sounds you can use a delay. Jet fighter swooshes are the realm of the flanger.

8. I was actually looking for a setting to mimic a Phase 90.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IIRC the MXR is a 4 stage phaser. I guess you can set your Boss to the closest setting to that.

10. Yeah, I set the depth to half way and the res to 9 o clock and it sounds really nice. I need to fiddle with the rate but it sounds nice.

11. set your phasers to stun

I have messed around with them before, and agree

Add a wah for more variety.

12. I have tried the PH-1, 2 & 3 and always gone back to the Phase 90 for my phaser of choice. The block logo or the EVH nails the range of phaser sounds I always heard in my head, but could never reproduce with a Boss phaser on bass.

The way the Boss and the MXR phasers sweep frequencies are totally different, which explains why it is hard to reproduce the bass through Phase 90 sound on the PH-3 (the PH-1 did it better than the 2 or 3, IMO, but not as good as the newer Phase 90's).

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia