1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hmm, Brian Wilson played a P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave R, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    At least at this live performance.

I never knew.

2. same

3. Remember, almost all the Beach Boys' studio recordings (and the studio recordings of many, if not most, other top rock groups in the late '50s through early '70s) used top studio musicians rather than actual band members on the instrumental tracks. The Beach Boys used--admittedly with Brian's arrangements, production and direction--the great Carol Kaye on bass, Hall Blaine on drums, Tommy Tedesco and Glen Campbell on guitar, among others. I believe Carol also used a Precision bass at that time.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    On Pet Sounds most of the bass tracks were doubled, tripled, even quadrupled with uprights and baritone guitars. I have a box set that has all the backing tracks sans vocals and you can hear how complex the voicings were. Mind blowing.

PS: When Glen Campbell filled in for Brian on the road, he played that P bass too!

5. Where have YOU been Dave??
    :):cool:

6. MHLakland

MHLakland Registered Bass Nut

Aug 13, 2008
    Florida
    The P-Bass was the standard. In fact if you owned an electric bass and they asked a seesion bassist to bring one for recording they always refered to any electric bass as the "Fender."

"Bring the Fender"

Up until the Beatles, Motown and Beach Boys for that matter most recordings were done on an upright bass. Carol Kaye, James Jamerson, and Joe Osborn are some of the more famous electric bass session bassists that led the way.

So, if you had a bass at this time it was no doubt a Fender.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Or a Gibson, or a Danelectro, or a Hofner, or a Kay, or a Harmony, or any of the other basses that were available at the time. I think that the fact that the Fender was THE one to catch on makes people think that there were no other basses being used back then, but there were a lot. However, most studio bassists had Fenders, so you are partially right.

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I have a Beach Boys CD somewhere where they show how one song was produced in the studio. Interestingly, when the producer's voice is heard ordering the session players to do this and that, he always refers to Carol Kaye as "Fender bass do this," and "Fender bass do that." You wouldn't know it was CK but you sure do know bass was played with a Fender.

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You've never seen photos of Brian and his P-bass? Hmm.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Remember this album cover?

[​IMG]

11. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    I noticed this "Fender bass" thing in high school, when I played bass for the school musicals- a lot of the sheet music said "Fender bass" in the top left corner. Most of my music in jazz band said "bass", "electric bass" (if it was being specific), or "bass/tuba". Fortunately, the school had a MIA P-bass for me to use, so I certainly had a Fender bass.

12. Great memories in that cover. I was thirteen at the time ('64) and knew then and there that I had to have a white P-bass and play in a band. I did and still do.

13. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I should've known. I was playing bass shortly thereafter. Started in '68 or so. I knew Brian played bass, but never noticed which kind. The album cover was kind of a no-brainer...

I knew Osborn played a J and Jamerson played a P... I guess I just thought of Brian as the composer/arranger. Never thought of him as the bassist until I saw the video.

Guy was a filppin' genius, though.

BTW--anyone know who played the bass on "God Only Knows?" That's some beautiful bass.

14. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Credits are Carol Kaye-Fender bass and Lyle Ritz-string bass.

15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have the same - it is called "Stax of Trax" and - yes....the arrangements were VERY Complex.....I happen to be a HUGE fan of Pet Sounds....I think it is as relevant today as when it was produced.....even more so than some of Brian's later projects (with or without the Beach Boys)....although after Pet Sounds, most musical tracks were sans Beach Boys and they were broght in for vocals only...

All of the original Beach Boys would admit they were "so so" musicians and Brian had a head full of GREAT ideas that needed the expertise of great studio musicians....

16. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I agree 100% - one of my favorite songs ever....

17. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    that "producer" was Brian himself...

18. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Brian is The Man!! Good Vibrations can damage small subwoofers at high volumes

19. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    And his currrent bassplayer plays Laklands!!!!

20. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Yeah, at the ripe old age of 23. He had that whole album in his head.