1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hmm.. choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spoonbass, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Spoonbass

Spoonbass

Apr 9, 2009
    I play in a metal/progressive band and want a bass with a fast neck (preferably on the thinner side) and a growly tone that cuts through.
    I have a few choices (i want to buy new) but if you think there are any others under the 1000 dollar price range please inform me.

Heres a few basses ive been looking at:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-004-Bass?sku=513841

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sterling-by-Music-Man-RAY34-Bass?sku=580995

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GandL-Tribute-L2000-Plus-4String-Bass?sku=511122

:bassist:Thanks for the help!:bassist:

2. DrPepper09

DrPepper09

Jan 22, 2009
    Denton, TX
    thinnest neck on a bass would be the geddy lee, however you wouldnt get metal tone out of that..

custom a bass with a geddy neck on it?

3. Spoonbass

Spoonbass

Apr 9, 2009
    Im not really looking for the thinnest neck i could find, i just prefer it to be on the thinner side. I dont think im going to make a custom bass though :p

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Interestng choices you have there.

I'm a new convert to Schecter but before I recommend one bass over another, I'll repeat the best advice you'll ever get around here-try to find a place to play as many of these basses as you can BEFORE you shell out your $$ to buy something based on looks only.

I also suggest checking out ESP's LTD line. Those basses are right in your price range as well.
    Also dont forget Ibanez and Yamaha. Ibanez is known for very thin necks.
    While on the subject of thinner necks, Music Man and G&L necks have never struck me as being on the "thinner side" of the spectrum.
    To be fair though, I've never owned a G&L and its been over 20 years since I owned a Music Man so I really dont have a great point of reference there.

5. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    used Spector Rebop.

7. Of those three choices I'd go with the G&L. Hard to tell what the Ray34 is going to be like exactly since they have just been released. I've heard that the Schecter 004 has a bit chunkier neck.

8. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    That is not true. I can get a great metal tone out of mine, and the guy from Testament seems to agree with me.

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Boom shaka-laka. :D The "Spector Sound" at a substantially lower price (and yet IMO more open to different sounds due to the woods used), thinner and satin as opposed to the thicker and painted neck of the Euro LXs, and quality pickups and electronics that are easily upgradable should you desire to. Try to find one of the Zebrawood-topped Exotic Top models - tone for miles. The bass so nice I bought it thrice¬ô (ReBop 4 DLX EX Zebrawood-topped "ZeBop", ReBop 5 DLX FM fretted, ReBop 5 DLX FM fretless with HG Thor Epoxy Coating)

But if you want to go the StingRay route look around for a used Music Man S.U.B. StingRay or Sterling. I wrote a huge post about the benefits of it vs. the new "Sterling" line.

10. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    For me, Spector is the perfect prog-metal bass.

11. Of those 3 ... G&L, but it doesn't have a narrow/thin neck

Thin narrow neck, and cuts through - Ibanez SRX. Try one before you buy - in fact try a lot of stuff - its the best way ;)

12. JJT247

JJT247

Jan 24, 2009
    Im going to look at all the basses everyone is mentioning.
    Im trying to go for a rickenbackerish sound, but at a lower cost :smug: