Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hmm, dual channel i think its called?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kearney, Apr 3, 2005.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i have a crate Bx100 and a Kustom k150 (both combos)

suppose i get this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/150753/src=vc504

would it work if i set up my crate on one of the outputs and have the treble cranked and my kustom on the other and the bass cranked? cuz it think that would sound pretty cool but i wanna make sure this will work before i spend 99$

also are there any just two amp versions of these pedals?

2. It'll probably work OK as long a both amps are phased the same. I don't see a feature on that pedal to compensate for two out of phase amps.

3. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    the say waht now?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    its very unlikely but sometimes amps will have inputs that are 180 degrees out of phase. in tha tcase you geta lot of phase cancellation, which you will notice as a distinct loss of low end when both amps are on. if that happens then you need a switch to reverse polarity/phase on one channel of your splitter, or a seperate device to do so, (or a modified cord to do that, or rewire the input on one of your amps to reverse the phase). it probably wont happen.

anyhow, a y cord would do the same thing, as would a less expensive a/b/y box (an a/b box just lets you chose one or the other, an a/b/y lets you choose one,. the other, or both).

i've used two amps that way a ton of times, it can be very cool. :cool:

5. The input signal from your bass is a sine wave. It starts at 0, rises + until it peaks, then falls to 0, then goes - until it peaks, then returns to 0. That's one cycle. The amp takes that signal, amplifies it and puts it to the speaker. Now, does the speaker move out in the + swing, or does it move in? you see, you don't know and neither do I, but it doesn't matter one way or the other as long as you're using just one amp. Combine two amps though and suddenly it matters a lot. You can't have the speaker on one amp moving out on the + swing and the speaker on other moving in because you get into phase cancellation problems.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've done something conceptually along these lines and I've found that different amps have different characteristics in tone and that doesn't make for a good match.

I run pups stereo driect out to seperate jacks with no onboards controls. Typically I play through a late model two channel Poltyone - neck pup into one preamp channel and bridge into the other. And that works great for the most part but some times I'd like more bass while maintaining the rest of the tone.

Poly is a pretty midrange amp so instead of running both pups into the Poly, I ran one to the Poly and one to a GK MB 150 (which is very bass heavy) and also the same with a Fender Bassman 25 (also bass heavy). Results were not good.

Running a GS 112 as an exention out the Poly produced the desired result.

I'm sure you could find a good match between amps if you ran through enough of them - or simply got lucky.