Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmm.. I'm outta luck with this semester's exams...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This semester sux... big time. Especially these last two weeks of exams

I already knew it would, but i didnt think it will be this bad.

The first was Linear Algebra. Started well with the quarter-year exam - got 80% - and if I had better eyesight/was more awake/etc, I almost had 90%..
    But the second quarter-year exam, ... they didn't play nice there. Lot's of people were flunked. I got 60% - and it was one point short of a 4! :mad:

Next on was Statistics II.
    First quarterly was 44. I had hopes that this would pull my grades a bit upwards. Well, not much luck. In a big room, I was the very last one to recieve the paper and got no additional time. Therefore I didn't have time to finish it properly - and only got 41, and that 85 is only a 4 :mad:

Next was Capital market and corporate finances.
    I forgot to check two formulas, and mixed two others up (of the 60-70-80something formulas)... guess which were the most frequent :rolleyes: 2. Gonna rewrite that Wed

The climax. Business Law. Oral exam, to make it even better :spit:
    I got two thesises (thesii? sp?). Both were about the same thing! Now how probable is that that I don't know 3 of the 25, and both are from that 3? (3/25)*(2/24) - that is exactly 1%.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

The next one: Finance.
    How's it gone?
    IT WAS ONCE AGAIN ONE FRIGGING POINT FROM 4!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

this messes up my grades badly. I had 4.44 last semester...

Actually, I'm calmer than it may look like from this post. Calm on the outside, yet a bit angry and mad, but even more sad on the inside.

Well, rant over.

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that sucks, man.

what's your major? (ie, looks like you're taking business classes... why take linear algebra if you don't have to and DON'T hate yourself?)

maybe next semester, if you could afford to, take only four classes. that might help. i don't think one bad semester will ruin your life.

:)

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Linear algebra was the only math class that I had to take in college that I didn't have trouble with...only because my teacher was a soft-spoken, Russian grad student who spoke very poor English, I ended up teaching myself. Calculus got me kicked out of the stat program, however.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    tell me about it... took 5 classes allready failed 4... and got to get A on final and A on presentation tomorow to get C in class

Thats after 5 semesters of getting B's and A's and TAing like 4 classes.... thats just bad...

Come to think of it... if i get anything less then A on presentation tomorow i wont need to take finals... tomorow might be my last day of school for summer! YAY

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well the Unis work a bit differently here.
    I'm at the University of Economics.
    All these subjects are compulsory. I can't say "I'd not like to learn these"
    The bad thing is that we are going to choose "majors" now, and these grades count into it. I'm hoping to get International Business - and those are quite sought-after. Now this maybe wont ruin my chances, but it will make it harder.

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The joke is, I had 4 of Analisys, and 5 of Probability Calculus. Then this...
    And not really because it is so hard, but because the teachers were not very nice putting together the test.
    Typical maths test: There is a question (either a task or just some theoretical one) and then 4 possible answers, and then a 5th called neither. :rolleyes: They use that fifth quite unpleasantly.

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, looks like this aint a good year for you, too.
    Hos did it go?
    and at least your through with it now.
    I have two more coming up, and one big test: it sums up all the maths and statistics subjects: 4 hours of toil and torture, one part is Stat I & II, the other is Analisys, Linear Alg and Prob Calc - get less than 50% on either, you're screwed. Best is that the maths part still uses these stupid tests, not these "write the exercise down, you'll get some fraction-points if your schemes were good, but miscalculated something"-types. I'm not really happy about it. Should've taken the Economics exam now, not the Maths... well too late now.

8. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    wow, that's odd that linear algebra is a requirement!

here, i think that the most math business majors need to take is maybe two classes in "business calculus" and probably a statistics course or two.

is your linear algebra class proof-based, or is it strictly computational?

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :confused:

I don't really know what you mean - are you asking whether it's about theory, as well as exercises? If yes, then yes, it has both. Vector-algebra, matrixes, matrix-operations, linear programming - simplex and duplex. That's about the main outlines.

10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    "proof-based" means you are graded on writing proofs for theorems that the professor presents in class.

as far as i know, most schools in the states offer both a class in "computational" linear algebra course (questions like "find the determinant" or "find the eigenvector" and so on) and, for the math-majors, a "proof-based" linear algebra course (some exam questions like "prove such-and-such theorem."

i get to take the proof-based one next fall. :help:

i'm not exactly clear on why it should be required for an international business major. then again, i don't really know what these people do--they may solve systems of linear equations in their jobs, after all. :confused:

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As it would be hard to prove something in a test, ;)
    Yet we have both computational and theoretical questions.

BTW eigenvector :D Is there also eigenwert? Why arent these translated?

Well, i'm in the second year now. Everyone at the uni has the same subjects in the first two years (well except for teacher candidates, they have some special extra subjects like pedagogy-theory, psychology, etc, or other special classes), we only get to faculties at the end of the second year, and choose a major at the end of the third.
    Yet, I have no idea where this might be useful at any of the faculties and majors of the uni. Though, there are some more subjects that have no connection to business whatsoever, still, we have those, too.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Here is the anwser... in somewhat of a detail:)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185494

From looks on my teacher face i might still have a chance:)

Cheers

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, I just read that thread.
    Well, hope it turns out well, and you'll get better crack with this exam. What, I mean, grades :p

14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    because it sounds cool. :D i've never heard of an "eigenwert," though. afaik, it's just eigenvector, -value, and -function.

oh, that'd explain it, then.