Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmm, Monster Trucks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was watching some Monster Truck stuff on TV early this morning. I don't get what's so exciting about it? :confused: And what do they run on? They produce a lot of BHP.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I could give a crap what amount of BHP they produce, but I also don't get the whole "Monster Truck" thing.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Little Britain" - the UK comedy TV series, succesfully explained the appeal ......;)

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I find it pretty annoying..there is this stupid tv voice over that keeps on shouting "oowwwww, what a niiceee doowwwnut" "look at how high he flies!" and /evil voice mode on "this...is monstertruck madnessssss" evil/voice mode off. It's friggin' boring, if the racers would have to destroy each other, that'd be nice :p

5. some boys need big cars/trucks etc to compensate.....

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    They've got really big wheels. And they're noisy. And they smash things up in a spectacular way.

Some people find that exciting.

My son likes them. He's 3 years old.

Sometimes I like them. Incidence of enjoyment appears to have a direct relation to alcohol intake.

I'd like one to drive to work. It would solve the car parking problems we have.

7. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    They're pile-dri~*dies*

8. They just seem like another way for petrol heads to burn more fuel if you ask me. Tsssk, tsssk.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I never "got" them either. But I was traveling with a friend and his 11 yr.
    old son a few years ago, and we passed a place that had "monster truck rides". Well his 11 year old had to go, so I tagged a long. It was a fun, noisy ride, and those trucks definently did things that other vehicles couldn't do. If I was eleven I might be a fan. I do notice a preponderance of "Metalica" bumper stickers at there events, and also a good sampling of WWE fans at those events, I'm sure it's connected! :D

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Here in America, we all drive monster trucks.

And own lots of guns.

and call our parents Ma and Pa.

Each and every nite we have 96 oz. steaks for dinner.

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have been to a couple of monster truck shows. watching it TV is lame, i admit. but when its live its actually a lot of fun. alcohol definitely plays a part in the entertainment value...as does hanging out with 15,000 of your best redneck buddies. :D

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Well it appears that I sit in the minority section here, as I happen to really dig monster trucks. :meh:

Different strokes for different folks.

Signed,
    The 3 year old alcoholic WWE fan with a small p****. :rolleyes:

13. Ahhh. The true agenda reveals itself.

On a related note:

Congratulations to BurningSkies and Mike N for successfully answering the Hidden Question on this edition of Fun With Stereotypes!! I look forward to your responses in the coming rounds!!

Mike

14. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Wow. Must be some sort of cultural exchange program going on. Over in the UK, Nick gets early-morning Monster Trucks...... on the other side of the pond, we wake up to the Teletubbies...... :rolleyes:

15. I'd say we're losing this one.

Mike

16. Monster Trucks are definitely a see-in-person dealie. It's a little different when giant trucks are towering above and, well, making a mess of everything that gets in their way. That and it's a good way to get rid of all that excess gas we have.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well said. :D

Actually Nick, I would be very surprised if they ran on gas or diesel at all. I vaguely remember something about alcohol fuel.

If you get a chance to see one in person it's much cooler, but I wouldn't change the channel if it came on. Those trucks are ridiculously loud it's fun to watch them race. What can I say, I may be a Floridian transplant in MS, but I'm all country. :D

It's like freestyle motocross. To me, it is the most boring thing I've ever seen, but some love it. Who am I to question someone's passion.

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Monster trucks burn Methanol for the most part, as do most race type vehicles, Formula 1 and NASCAR being two major exceptions (god did I just use NASCAR in the same sentence as Formula 1? May the ghost of Senna strike me down where I sit!)

Just the other day I was getting a lecture from someone about how the Indy 500 is a shameful event because it wastes "millions" of gallons of gasoline that the US must go overseas and kill innocent people to acquire, etc...

That conversation came to a brilliantly entertaining end when I pointed out that indy cars don't run on gasoline :)

19. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    I apologise, on behalf of my country, for the Teletubbies.

Dont know what the BBC were smoking that day.......

20. Not good enough. Prepare for "In the Heat of the Night" reruns.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.