Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmm... never seen a Zon quite like this.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Apr 7, 2003.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    if im not mistaken, i actually saw that zon on ebay. however, i have never seen one like that ever. and who wants a pink neck?

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Prototype?

Wulf

4. Wow, I like it a lot. I like it when exotic bass makers make a bass with a solid color(especially white). Wal and Warwick did that and it was cool.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Throw a few stickers on it & you'll have a Randy Coven special...

6. The description says that the whole thing started out pink, then the body was refinished (or something).

Mike

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wow, its even got a "string-breaker" on it . . . um . . . er . . . I mean a bass whammy bar . . . ;)

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :meh:

Well...one thing jumps out at me quickly. In the closeup of the headstock, at the top left corner, there is a chip in the finish and underneath it appears to be WOOD.

:eek:

Now, this may indeed be a prototype or something, but I'm suspicious about that.

9. Gard, didn't Zon use a light wood core in their necks at one point? I seem to recall having that discussion with "he who shall remain nameless" on that sublect a long while ago, but I don't remember the answer.

Mike

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....I was just chattin' with Joe Z, and this puppy came up in the discussion...

Here's the deal: The bass was originally all that pearl pink. Joe has no idea why the body is now white, our guess for the neck/headstock remaining pink is that whoever refinished the bass was a bit skittish about refinishing the composite neck.

The wood that caught my eye and made me suspicious is also easily explained: The original Zon 4 and 8 string basses had the same neck, and the headstock would not quite work for both. So, Joe came up with a way to bond "wings" on the side of the headstock (the center of which is composite, the wood is a very small piece according to Joe, about 1/4") to allow for the different tuner configurations.

So, it is an actual Zon bass, although not completely original.