1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hmm...New GK MB210 or Ibanez Promethean 1x10? Are they even comparable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by llamalor2112, Sep 28, 2009.

1. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    So I'm looking at getting a new, lightweight 500w amp setup. What I have seen are the GK MB210 350w (500w w/ ext.) and the Ibanez Promethean 1X10 250w (500w w/ ext.).

Both are about $600 and weigh 30lbs.

I will end up getting an ext. cab no matter what (probably a 210) but am wonderring what you guys may have to say in regards to either of these little guys.

Also, even if I have the ext. cab will the single 10" in the Ibby blow out if using the full 500w. Kinda' makes me wonder?!:meh:

So how do they sound? I guess that's what I'm asking.:p Personal experience, as always is highly valued.

2. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    I like my Promethean, but I haven't heard the GK. I was interested in the GK, but then I heard the horror stories about it's reliability issues. Just about all of them seem to die at a very young age. That scared me off immediately.

I'd say go for the Promethean, but try to play through one to make sure you like it first.

3. I say go GK.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  5. No experience with these, but you can buy the Ibanez head and a 2x10 cabinet. Also available are 1x15 and 1x10 cabinets. I have used the Ampeg Micro stack, and I think if you got an Ibanez head and one or two of those cabs you could probably have a great stack. The Ampeg Micro head seems a little underpowered for two of the Micro cabinets. IMO and IME.

6. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Bump!

7. PseudoSpaceman

PseudoSpaceman

Jul 5, 2009
    GK

8. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    I had an epiphany tonight. At practice, I was messing with the eq on my bass and the gain control on the Promethean..............BLISS!!! I love this amp all over again.

Maybe it's my new bass, maybe it's the new cab, or maybe it's the room. I don't know, but i've never been happier with a bass rig. If nothing else, at least play through one if you get the chance.