Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmm.....Should I...or Not

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reasonbass, May 20, 2003.

1. Lately I've been checking out tube amps, and I was wondering if I should trade in my current rig. As of now I have an Ampeg Svp-pro hooked up to a Crest audio LT1000. My question is will an All tube amp be better and just as loud as my current hybrid. I was thinking along the lines of an SVT-2 or the Classic. Weight is not an issue since the rack is big and heavy too, And my singer always helps me carry it.

Oh and is there a company that just makes tube power amps. So I can just hook up my svp pro to it?

thanks

2. here is the current set up
    [​IMG]

3. Dude,
    I use an old early 70's SVT head (black & silver knobs and white switches) and it is the baddest phattest loudest thing I've ever played on. I used to be a solid state guy, and then someone turned me onto the old beast and I've never, never looked back.
    I run active pick ups and I've rarely had the amp beyond 9:00 in the biggest rooms! (of course I try and go direct whenever possible and run the amp for stage volume only) But even when not plugged into the PA this thing has all the balls I'll ever need. Scratch around and get the real deal, an old early 70's one. Usually go around $800 to 1,500. New tubes will run around 325.00.
    And it does a weigh a freakin ton! Heavier than my SWR goliath cabinets!
    Peace

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    If you want a tube power amp, Aguilar has one (DB759 I think)it's 400 all tube watts, although it's a lot $$.

Also, I'm not sure if the Eden VT-300 is a head or just a power amp.

You could just get an old SVT, or if you want a lighter one, a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+

5. Alright I just played an Ampeg SVT II pro. And I fell in love. It sounded a lot thicker and meatier than my current set up. So If u go to the classifeds section u will find some of my gear for sale if anybody is interested.

thanks

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Aguilar makes the all tube DB359 and its 200 watts. their DB750 is a hybrid head made of an all tube preamp and proprietary solid state 750 watt @ 4 ohm power amp, which btw, also does 975 watts @ 2 ohms!

the Eden VT300 is just an all tube power amp. you'll still need a tube preamp.

but the Mesa 400+ is a great suggestion. tons of power and tubey tone on tap.

7. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    True ! But Aguilar also makes a 400 watt tube mono block called the DB 728! What the heck does that number stand for? Give me a clue! The guy in Hoobastank uses both the 728 and the 750.

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Yeah, that's the one! The 728! I knew I was onto something!:D :cool:

9. Your singer helps carry stuff???????:confused:
    I didn't think they were allowed. At least that's what they've always told me.....:p

As far as tube power amps, Aguilar and Demeter make a couple of monsters. The Eden VT300A has a pre-amp built in. I know, I've got one. What speakers are you pushing?

10. Yeah, we normaly play tight sets so we try to set up and drop down as soon as possible. He only helps me and the drummer, but not the guitarist. Which I think is really funny.

Im pushing an Ampeg SVT-410HLN 500 watts rms/1000 peak

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, the DB728 is just an all tube power amp. you still need a preamp to drive a signal thru it.

the Hoobie-boy prolly takes a line out from the DB750's preamp section, and plugs that it into the DB728 to drive more speakers.

so, he's got the fast transient response of the DB750's solid state power section into one set of speakers, and the FAT FAT FAT tone of the DB728's 6550 power tubes into another set of speakers.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really? weird!

what's the preamp like? same EQ section as the rest of the Eden line? why doesnt Eden promote this more?

13. I don't own anyother Eden stuff so I couldn't say. It is my understanding that the amp is pretty much a Koch (who makes it) lock stock and barrel. The pre-amp looks similar to the other Eden pre-amps ( 4 band EQ and stuff ) It has a tube tone to die for. It is my understanding though that they may not be real reliable. I haven't had a chance to gig with mine yet and don't know when I'll get around too it. My gig rig ain't broken so I shouldn't need to change anything soon.
    http://eden-electronics.com/VT300.html