1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hmm...SVT3PRO problem....diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Mar 2, 2008.

1. So I practiced today on my SVT3PRO with no problem..then I had a gig tonight so I get everything set up and get everything plugged in and no sound. So I ran my out cable to another cabinet and still nothing (making sure it wasn't my cabinet)....I took the top off and all of the tubes look ok....I changed the fuse on the back (although it was a 2 amp fuse instead of a 10 amp) and still nothing.

The only thing coming out was a crackling noise...but only when I hit my A string. So I hooked up a Fender Bassman 50 amp(my buddies) the cabinet worked fine as did my bass...so I know it is my amp.

Any ideas?? I have no idea what it might be...I looked at the entire inside and didn't see anything that look fried or anything.

:crying:

2. Are you getting a clip light when you play hard?
    Have you checked the preamp outputs- DI or Effects send?

...might help isolate the problem

3. No, it's not even clipping when the crackling noise came through. The crackling noise would just dissipate away or whatever. And I don't use the effects send at all.

4. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    My pro III did something almost like that when we hooked into the direct out. It ended up that the pot for the level control was dusted. So anything with a contact or moving part i cleaned and lubed with Deoxit Fader Lube. No more crackle.

5. Well, this isn't even a crackle...no sound or noise at all unless I turn it all the way up....the tubes light up...so I don't think that is what the problem is.

Like normally when I turn my amp on...it starts to his a little through the amp so I know it is on...but now....nothing. It will only crackle a little bit when I turn it ALL the way up...so I am guessing it has to be the power supply.

Does anyone know how much the power supply service or actual amp on this might be? I don't think it's under warranty b/c I bought it used and don't have the original receipt.

6. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Does it happen some times and other times it does not at a different setting?

7. No, I turned all the knobs and no sound at all....no hum or hiss out of the amp except when I turned it ALL the way up and hit my bass...a slight crackle...barely audible though....

8. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    You know what this may be as simple as the imput jack. I would at least start with lubing and puting the male end in and out of the jack hole and then try it again and see if you hear a difference. At least you can troubleshoot that part.

9. True...I wiggled the cable around a little last night to see if there was a difference, but nothing...and when I took the top off last night before the gig I put the bass cable in all of the 1/4" to make sure they were making contact and they were.

I am thinking it's a power issue.... :(

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Why did it have the wrong size fuse in it?

11. Well it had a 250v 10A fuse...and the only one I could find last night was a 250v 2A....I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the fuse that was blown b/c the one in there had the white around it where you can't see in there.

So it had the right fuse...but I put a different one just to double check and still nothing...so I put the original back in.

12. anyone know how much a power amp or whatever might be for this?

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    They don't make a power amp for an SVT-3Pro. My best suggestion is to take it to a repair center for diagnosis. It is very likely something inside that is bad and I would never recommend somebody to repair their own amp. The ones who do are not asking for advise on Talkbass about it.

14. Oh I would never try to repair my amp at all....I have seen sparks fly before on an iBook..and it wasn't a pleasant ending.

15. Cool, just called the repair center....$60 diagnosis fee that will be applied to fixing it.

16. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    IIR that series of ampeg has a relay in the output stage that shuts off speaker output if something goes wrong, so thats most likely not getting sound

17. Well, i dropped that little punk off at the service center today.....the lady said it sounded like a tubes issue or dust......I guess I will see