Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmm, thinking about trying a set of tape wounds on my P bass, any info?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 15, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

I've been thinking about trying a set of Fender tapes on my Precision. Problem is though, they are about twice the price of a normal set of flats or rounds. What makes these strings so special. What kind of sound can I expect to get from them. How long do they last compared to a metal strings. I once heard that they are harder to keep in tune, is that true?

Thank you for all your advice. Please add anything else I should know about them if you can think about it? :)

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've tried LaBella Tapes and Rotos. I hated the Rotos, unfortunately, but I thought the LaBellas were pretty cool. Haven't tried the Fenders. The LaBellas and Fenders IIRC are roundwounds with the final wrap being nylon tape. IME, brighter than flats, not so bright as nickel rounds, with a different character than either. Kind of cool, really. Also, I think you can get the La Bellas really cheap from Carvin.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Fenders are really "zoomy." I dig 'em, especially on my '78 fretless P bass. They feel really good, too. Tension feels a little floppy and you may have to tweak your trussrod depending on what your neck is used to, however.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks guys.

Actually Boogiebass, I had some neck problems recently, that required some heat clamping, and I was told not to get strings with to much tension, so this sounds like a good idea.

Again, thanks everyone.

5. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    Between the Fenders and the LaBella's, which has more tension?

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    What colour is the silk wrapping on these strings? I'm trying to identify a set of strings on a used bass I've just bought, and I'm trying to match the colour to a brand. The colour on these strings is a light blue/turquoise.

7. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    Well, I've been looking into this and I have found a little more info. The LaBella's have a purple thread and they are kind of a dull black, and lumpy. The Fenders are shiny black with black ends.

I also recently bought a bass with black tapes with yellow end. I love the sound of these things. Punchy, warm and clear. I very defined sound, with little sustain. I think they might be Roto's since they are very flat.

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Going strictly by the yellow ends, the are Roto TruBass. I go that info stright from Rotosound.

And the LaBella's are purple, eh?! Well, that's another brand off my list. I'm starting to run out of options here! I hope the one's on my bass don't break anytime soon!! LMAO!! :D:D

9. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    Mybe yours are the Carvin version of the LaBella Tpaewounds.

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Yeah, they could be. I'll look into it.

Thanks, bassaussie.

11. I think the Carvin/LaBella Tape wounds are abot $17.00 usd. chk out their website.