1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hmm... (vintage B15 content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paparoof, Apr 15, 2015.

1. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Tell me why it would be a bad idea to buy this:
    Ampeg B15 -- S

(besides the fact that I already have a B25 and an SVT VR and a REDDI and Streamliner and a pre/power rack rig)

P.S. Just noticed it's a "B-15-s" - what's the "-s" on the end of the model name mean? Solid state rectifier?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    "short"?

3. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Yep ss rectifier as opposed to tube.

4. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    Oh just go buy it already. One can never have enough vintage Ampegs. Good looking set of GE 7027As too...

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only problem I see is there's no cab but that's easily rectified.

7. sjrash

sjrash

Nov 30, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    That seems like a good price. OBO might give you a little negotiating room.

8. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    The price is what has me wondering. Sure missing the cab is gonna drop the value by a lot, but this is less than a quarter of what I see vintage B15's going for around here. Is that price really low or would y'all say it's "about right"?

I guess the big question is - would it sound appreciably different from what I've already got? I mean, I own several Ampeg guitar amps too and I've played bass through them all and while I certainly achieve wildly different volume levels, I still come away with the opinion that they all just sound "ampeggy" to me. I think I only want it cause it's a B15 and I don't own a B15. Would this get me anything other than just being able say "I own a B15"?

Did I mention I have an SCR-DI waiting for me on my desk at the office?

Maybe I need to just stop.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
  10. It would be a good price for a "parts only" unit with obvious problems.

You haven't BOUGHT it yet?

sjrash likes this.
  11. sjrash

sjrash

Nov 30, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I would "test drive" it, 1. See if it is in good working order. 2. See if you like how it sounds. Let you ears be the judge. I'd buy it. But, I'm an Ampeg junkie! And I have a B-15 already.

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If it has been in storage for 20 years the electrolytic caps in the power supply and bias circuit will need to be replaced. The lid should not have those latchs on the front and back. Looks like it will need a lot of work so the price is good. Nice restoration project.

The B15S is a very nice amp. It isn't the same as a B15N. Different designs.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015