hmm, what are Squier VM neck plate screws made of ...carrots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    file under 'you get what you pay for'?
    just more fake screws?
    maybe, IDK, but it seems at a most critical point in a bolt-on's construction the use of inferior metals is the cause of one Phillips head to separate from the shaft when tightening all plate screws on a new P/J bass. it looked to be merely bad cast with a chrome coat and I kinda recall mentions of this occurring, but the bottom line is this sucks. if what has happened is the new norm then chalk it up to a serious learning moment for at least myself, I'll be far less likely to consider buying or recommending certain affordable basses. I'm a proud bottom dweller and am digging my new cheapo, but this is the first truly pathetic and unacceptable aspect of cost cutting I've encountered, essentially making a new bass unplayable in an instant and it may have always been from the factory since so little pressure broke what should be a very strong piece. it'll probably be an easy fix and hopefully no problem enjoying my new fave til I get around to it but damn, pot metal screws? anyone else encountered tales of such woe?

upload_2018-3-29_9-8-13.png

2. How much torque were you using? Did you manage to bend the corners of the plate down at all?

If the broken pieces look like cast metal at the break then the screw was overtorqued.

3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    NEVER had this issue with any cheap bass, but I did have a G&L Tribute that I had bought used and it had a bad hum. Upon opening it up I saw that the bridge grounding wire was no longer grounded to the bridge, and was free-floating around in the control cavity. Upon attempting to remove the bridge, despite using the proper screwdriver, I came very close to stripping a few of the screws. Contacted G&L and they sent me replacements, which were of much higher quality.

Bass V likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    didn't get a chance to torque that one, but yes, it's like it got zapped into place at the factory and failed below the head just prior to anything noticeable til putting a screwdriver to it and crumbling off. are crap screws the typical fare on Squiers?

5. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Got a Squier jazz bass that's imho a piece of crap, it wasn't brand new to me but had very little use by the looks, the neck needs to straighten up but doesn't really want to adjust and the truss rod nut's up to the max.
    Doesn't look like a particularly good piece of work or materials in any department tbh, ( also, incidentally sounds disappointingly dull, not much tonal variance available etc) not impressed at all by these...

6. I’ve taken apart many of squiers and these modern ones screws are cheaper then say A MIM fender. I believe it is A casting but they are noticeably lighter in weight.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Wait until you find out the tuners use two dummy screws...

(that might actually be exclusive to Affinity models)

Pug the Pig likes this.
  8. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Ha! You open the shipping box to find a length of scaffolding board with a brick tied to the end.....sucker

9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Was it given to you, or did you buy it second hand?

10. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Bought but without being able to try it first...

11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    you can't lump all Squiers into the same bag, most can be a waste of natural resources while a few like the Classic Vibe and Vintage Mods are expected to be upper class, and much of this VM PJ seeeems to be fine, but to have trash quality at that vital spot on a fractional penny piece is unforgivable. I doubt this is an isolated incident and could actually have serious consequences in extreme circumstances.

12. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I'm sure many of the Squiers are fine.... quite likely it's the lower end ones that are the usual crapshoot , you may get an OK one, you may get one that's rubbish..

13. pasi

pasi Guest

Jan 6, 2015
    Squiers is just fine.nothing wrong with neck bolts and or tuners,by the way mexicans use same parts

14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have to disagree that all is fine with Squier overall if the better line has blatant faults as detailed.
    had I paid more I'd be right pissed off, nobody deserves shoddy quality when it comes to stress test metals.

15. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I doubt I'd get one again, unless a real cheap bargain I could flip on ebay if I didn't like it..

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021