Hmm what to fill a rack with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, May 24, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have a newly aquired Mesa 400+ and want to rack it up with some other stuff. But I have some questions. What rack should I get? I want something that will keep the 400+ from rattleing too much and I would preferably like wheels on it. I need about 6 or 8 spaces probabally. Next item. Rack tuner, is Korg the only one out there? Or are there good others? Perhaps theres an FX unit with a tuner? (but more on the FX in a minute) Wireless? What brands to look at? I want some bang for the buck for this one... What power conditioner to look at? Will the volt thingy on some have any effect on the 400+? Lastly, which effects unit should I look at? I want a good multi effects unit, as my band wants to get rather unique sounding. The Line 6 looks cool but is out of the price range for now, especially after the foot pedal. Is the Berhinger (ugh) any good? I want to keep cost to a minimum as well, as the 400+ was a good deal but nevertheless left me lacking somewhat in cash and I want to get an Aggie 412 sometime. Ahhh, GAS attack :smug:
    Oh, I don't need another preamp as I have no pre input. But any other suggestions for other units are all good.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I found a 5 space rack for my Mesa 400+ and my Korg tuner. The Mesa needs at least a 5 if not a 6, and those SKB style cases are a little tight with the handle design (side mount fan). I have an extra clip-fan that I clip on in back anyways to keep things cool. I know that SKB does offer a 5 space with wheels and a extender-handle type thing...and I've heard of people using a drill on the side of the case to good effect for ventilation. You definitely want something that can take some weight.

For the rattling thing, you have a few options, either a shock mount case (heavy and bulky) or be careful with a regular case. I'm thinking of getting a gramma pad for between the amp and the cab to reduce vibration while on stage.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you know any shockmounts which have the extender handle type thing?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nope. I haven't seen anything like that.

I opted against the SKB rolling rack because I was worried about vibration...It's heavy, but if I carry it I know it's not being shaken.

I also try to keep the amp/rack horizontal, since the tubes are mounted vertically. The sockets feel tight and sturdy, but I don't want to take chances.
  5. Plain, here is the route I'm taking with my new (used) 400+. I'm breaking the gear into two racks.

Skb 4 unit shockmount $240 mannysmusic. The Mesa is a beast by itself but I wanted the tubes protected without crossing into the 100lb area. The shockmount is also ideal for the +'s side-mounted cooling fan. I think wheels on a case invite rattling & banging around.

Skb 3 unit shallow case with the following-
    Furman power conditioner w/lights. You can go from $30 to $300 on these things, I think the budget RackRider or PL-8 will suit my needs to keep hum down, take the hit during a spike & light my knobs. I don't need an LED readout telling me how much juice is pumping. I'll know when it runs out or smokes my Fur. :eek:

Sabine RT-7000- $75ish. Seems to be well regarded. Korg would fit the bill also. Some of the rack tuners come with a little power pak that you plug into the outlet and then into the tuner. I am avoiding those just because... Because I am. Less to tempt Murphy with.

I am still debating a Senn or Shure wireless for that third spot.

All my effects come from a Basspodxt (w/power pak thingy grrr)

That's it. Watcha think?

Edit to add- I think the Pod beans will drop pretty quick for a used one when the Podlive hits the streets. The xt works well for me with the 4 button foot. I use the 1st for clean & the next three for effects. One click of the knob gives you three more etc. Just remember to keep the first one clean on each sequence so you can jump out of effect mode.

I agree with 'Skies on carry mode vs. wheeling.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That sounds completely awesome. I currently have my 400+ in some old beat up rack case, but I think I'll take your route. I might be able to use the old case for FX and all that. Should be easier to carry around as well... I'll keep my eyes open for a Pod, I'd rather have that than some Berhinger product (bad issues with a guit@rist's Berhinger) :scowl:
  7. Rumple

May 12, 2005
    I have my 400+ in a 8 slot road ready case. Its a pretty big case but Looks nice and protects my head better than I thought it would. I have a furman power conditioner on the very top and nothing in between to keep good air flow to the head. So if you have a lot of rack gear you may want to even go with like a 10 or 12 slot rack. Just try to keep some space in between the head and anything else. Power supply worked out great for me because some bars have really noisy power, since I got the power supply I have not been noisy in between songs at any venue.