Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmmm...A Scammer Perhaps?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Whoa... what you guys see is someone trying to rip others off with fake ads. Now you can watch real-time, online...

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Did you PM Oldie, He'd be the most qualified to blow the wistle on the guy.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just did.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've e-mailed the site owner to let them know of the fraud. Hopefully, they will do something about it quickly.

Scammers suck.

:mad:

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Did you look at the prices on those fake auctions?

That's a big enough tip off right there.

7. Other than the prices, how can you tell it's a scammer? Not questioning you guys, just curious.

Thanks!

8. Michael Johnson is a scammer. He just emailed me intending to purchase one of my amps for $500.00 with a $2,500.00 cashiers' check; shipping to be done by him. Oh, he stated that he is from Texas, which I seriously doubt.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    good call, Bryan!

:)

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Why do people keep trying that one...it's the internet version of selling the Brooklyn Bridge.

...Hey Jorg, I have a 4000 dollar cashier's cheque here...can I send it over for another 1212?

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    When will people learn, bass players know other bass players gear and when someone it doesnt belong too tries to sell it as a scam, they always get found out by the crew hehe.

12. Only if you pick it up in person :p

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Because the bass belongs to oldie but noobie.

14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Well, it's old to most people around here, but someone on a computer forum just fell for the computer version of this scam last month. Like someone said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Maybe in one of the forums here there could be a sticky with the most common scams listed in it. Just so people could see what scams are being used and list any new ones as well.

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, many of us have received letters from "Michael Johnson"
    :rolleyes:

Marshall

16. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    This one is not from Michael Johnson but from someone named Paul Smith... I recieved this, this morning in regards to an ad I have on the Bass Classifieds.

"Hello,
    In respect of your FBB Single Cut/Mac Ebony i saw on the internet,i'm interested in buying it.Let me know your last selling price and the condition of the car and also have the digital images sent to me via email. I will make payment with a cashier check and i want you to get back to me asap."

here is the guys email: paul smith <paulsmith206@yahoo.it>

... I have not emailed him back and probably will not, he cant even get his items straight "the car" !!! ....what an ass
    - Tom

17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    O/T (and hopefully not breakin' any rules) ..... is that your fretless 4 on the 'bay FBB #1061 ?

18. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Pointbass,
    No thats not the one I dont have it listed on ebay, or talkbass. actually I am hesitant to let it go but..... well I wont go into it here, until I finally upgrade my account.
    - Tom

19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Tom,
    PM sent ......

... you're now returned to your regularly scheduled thread, sorry for the intrusion ;) ....

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

I'd really be interested in seeing those scams. There's nothing wrong with educating those who aren't in the know about such activities. I love dumb criminals getting busted.