hmmm... G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Reverend Rumblefish

0 vote(s)
  2. Reverend Rumblefish XL

5 vote(s)
  3. MIJ Fender '57 P-bass Reissue (used)

5 vote(s)
  4. MIM Fender P-bass

1 vote(s)
  5. Schecter Sb-1FL

1 vote(s)
  1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm having really bad G.A.S. pains... I know I'm gonna get a new bass... this is what I've found that I'm considering...

Fender mij '57 p reissue (used)
    Fender mim Fender p (new)
    Rumblefish XL (new)
    Rumblefish (new)
    Schecter SB-1FL (new)

Which would be the better purchase? Give valid reasons for each also.

I'm sure everyone knows I want a clean, yet extremely low sound.
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    'Everyone who wants advise should go read the reviews at'

Thats your own advise, right? ;)

Rumblefish, all the way. Much better than those other basses you listed, IMO.
  3. Your gonna get many different opinions from many different people, so you might as well just try all of them out for yourself. The tone of a Rumblefish might sound good to some people, but not to you. Same with any of the previously mentioned basses.
    *go P, go P, go P*
    This post is devoid of any subliminal messages :D
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dont mind him, hes stupid. :p :D
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hm, why do I feel like I have to leave the room?

Will C.:cool:
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've read all the reviews already, Angus.

They set all of them about equal. And before everyone said the P was what I was looking for. Remember the thread "Legend for Low End"?

Everyone said a P. And my bass teacher said an old P.

It seems it's like this, I want a clean, mellow, bass with lots of lows. Clean = Rumblefish, Mellow = SB-1FL, Lots of low end = '57 P-bass reissue

Which one would have more of the qualities I'm looking for though?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Rumblefish is all of that. I wouldn't even consider the Schecter, and a genuine old P is going to cost you. The reissues have nothing compared to them.
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I was gonna say the same as the post of the HARMONY CENTRAL!!!
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've played some really nice sounding MIJ P's so I would say go with that. :)
  10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, all are around the same price range. The MIJ 57' remake P-bass is in like mint, atleast from the pic.

I'd say all would be equally good basses in their proper situation. But I'm not quite sure which would work best for mine.
  11. dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I'd have to go with the Rumblefish XL.... This bass is the one that is the most versatile out of the bunch you listed. It'll do the P thing pretty well, the J thing even better. Add an outboard pre at some point and it'll be completely killer. I have mine mated to an Aguilar DB924 and it smokes.
  12. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    In ten years you will still be glad you bought the mij.
  13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    What do YOU like?

Do you prefer........ a P neck...or a J neck?
    a heavy bass, or lighter one?
    a P body....J body...or something else?

How about a P bass with a J neck? Or a P bass, with fretless neck....with BEAD tuning?

I had a MIJ P bass....Hated it! But then I like slimmer necks.
    I have a Schecter bass...LOVE it! It feels great to play and gives me every tone I want...and more.
    I have an OLD Washburn P bass...which I also love and it is the one I keep here by the computer.
    I think the point is.....which has already been said more times in this forum, than can be counted.....
    For every positive reveiw of ANY will get an equal number of negative reveiws. Soooo...
    which opinion do you listen to?
    The most information anyone can offer on a bass...
    is how well it is constructed. And all too often...opinions are given on basses that an individual has not even played....just "heard about from someone else".
    Unless you can try them all out might just come down to being a matter of "buy and try". Lord only knows.....many of us have been down THAT road ourselves. can be a very informative...and FUN road. :)
  14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I learned on a p. I'm quite comfy with a p neck and all.

They seem to have a good defined low end. It's not too expensive either, only like $530 for the '56 mij p-bass reissue.

I think I might go with that.
    Weight isn't much of a factor. I used to play a Fender Jazz Deluxe. Now that thing weighed like 20 lbs (well not really, but the thing was DAMNED heavy)

I could handle all of them fairly well. I like the idea of the rumblefish being light and sounding really clear. But I've heard that j pups get lots of highs and p's get lots of lows. So I'm assuming a p-bass would be better for me to go with?

I was thinking of trying to find one of the double p's. But that hasn't gone too well. I haven't even been able to find a picture of one.