1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hmmm. Need help. Digital or Analog (zoom b2.1u q.)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Choosh, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    Okay, so I started playing bass in the summer. I have improved a good amount (in my opinion), and I am thinking about what kind of pedals to get.

At home I have my 15watt practice amp (Behringer), but when I play with friends, (we are starting a band) I use my friend's PA.

Now, I want to say. I am person who wants to have unique sounds. I am into dancepunk (new wave), noiserock, and other punk genres. But I play metal(ish) songs with my friends. (Kill Switch Engage). As for pedals, I've been looking into the MXR blowtorch, and a Mid-Fi PitchPirate.

Now to make my point, I rather use analog, original effectors, but the Zoom B2.1u is a great deal with the DI, and the tuner, and pitch shifter and w/e. But I don't want to be stuck using the effects.

Also. One with the rocker or one without?

My question is, should I get a Zoom B2.1u and use it as a tuner, DI, Amp modeler (for the PA), or get a tuner, DI, and eventually a better amp (which I am going to get anyways)

I hope you guys understand me. Sometimes I have trouble explaining myself, lol.

Thanks.

2. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Why would you be stuck using the effects? Turn them off if you don't want to use them.

I assume by "rocker" you mean the expression pedal? If so, be aware that the unit without that pedal (the B2) to my knowledge doesn't have the DI.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think he didn't mean he'd be stuck leaving them switched on, but that he'd have spent his money on the (potentially) not-as-satisfying-quality effects in the Zoom as opposed to higher-quality single effects.

I'd put a new amp at the very top of the priority list. A big-enough amp rig solves most tone problems IMO. Many amps include a DI, so that's one more item covered.

A tuner is also super important, but you can pick up a decent-enough one for cheap ($15 to $35 depending on new/used for a basic Boss/Korg/Sabine).

There's nothing wrong with using the Zoom or something similar in the meantime though, if a new amp is just not going to happen soon.

4. it would be the best if you could try out some gear...... digital and analogue effects and also better amps. i personally don't like the zoom b2 and b2.1u but i have seen a lot of chaps happy with it so go try
    +another thing if you aim to be a performing bassist sooner or later you would need to have a big enough rig of your own to handle jamming room output levels at least so start planning up for that (am telling ya coz i didn't and am stuck with a not so loud combo :( )