Hmmm, should I break up with my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Because right now it seems like a good idea.

We've been together for almost 3 years now, but the last year has been quite turbulant. Fighting constantly, about things I consider frivolous. Some bigger issues, bills, bills... and bills. But I don't feel much for her anymore it seems.

It's really crazy thinking about it, but I really don't think that I am right for her. She needs Romeo, I need Marla Singer... :meh:

Actually, I need to be single... for a long long long time. I've given this dating thing a shot for a few years now... not really my bag.

And I... I I... Think sex is overrated too.

But as much as I think I'm not right for her, she'd fall to pieces. She'd get really depressed. Also, I'd have to move, so we'd need someone to take over the lease at our apartment.

Anyone here have experience/advice about ending long termish relationships?
  2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i've just come out of a 2 year relationship and breaking up really sucks.

don't do it man unless you can deal with a really really upset girl. it's hard seeing someone you care so much about cry because of you.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Indeed. That's what's held me back on so many occasions. For some strange reason, she loves me. And she would go into a heavy depression and might stalk/kill me.
  4. thats pretty much how it is for you in black and white. Love sucks bro...whatever you do,g'luck with it
  5. walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    Myeah, i broke up after 3 years a couple of weeks ago, it sure was hard and off course she cried, but if you don't love her, leave her. The foundation of a relation ship is love, if you don't love her, things will most certainly turn out for the worse. You don't want to spend the next 20 years living with somebody you don't love end up having 3 children and abandoning them out of fear for commiting suicide because of depression like my father did.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You gotta do what you gotta do, but like Gia said, you're going to have to face breaking the heart of the girl you've grown very close to.

Also, it sounds right now, but just wait till you're alone for the first time in 3 years. Lonieness is a #@$%&.

Good luck.
  7. yeah, why not? if you know that she's not "the one" it's about time. three years is a good trial run.
  8. also:

to the stalkercave, robin!
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
  10. breaking up is the pits, but do it if it feels right man.. for me it was the butcher knife coming about 2 inches from my head into the pillow and then the psycho beeyatch breaking it off at the handle..

That and she kept breaking into my house, i had to get a restraining order, file police reports, etc.. After the knife incident when i kicked her out (i had lived there 9 years at this point she was there about 8 months) she rounded up the local police and told them all this crap which wasn't true and they said i had to give her a 30-day notice TO LEAVE MY OWN HOUSE. I had to put a 30-day notice on MY OWN DOOR. the cops said if i even farted wrong around her i could go to jail.. you can bet i didn't stay there a single night. so for 30 days i took out my cats, my stereo, my 45" TV, etc.. left her with nothing..

hah.. i laugh now. she was absolutely crazy. :help:
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    These are the wrong reasons to stay in a bad relationship. Read what you wrote, I think you know your answer.
  12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Do you want to be with someone who would stalk or kill you if you left her? Doesn't sound like grounds for a healthy relationship to me, or a very positive reason for staying together. Three years, IMO, is more than enough time to see if you're right for each other. Sure, it might be hard for her, but in this case I'm going to say do what's best for you. Like walewein said, don't waste your life away. Good luck, man.
  13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey Matt - I haven't read any other posts in this thread yet - in fact I've only read as much of your original post as I have quoted - but this is enough, along with already knowing your age, to say that with out a doubt that this relationship has run it's course. I'm very sorry to say it, but, in my opinion - yes, it is time to break up with her. Sorry. Good luck.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Make her hate your guts... Then she will dumb you...

Some of the good ways... throw dirty socks at her face, fart on her all the time... leave your panties inside the shower... and the one that will most likely do it... leave a toilet seat UP... that got me in trouble sooooooooooooooo many times... it has to work 100%...

good luck

PS i am avelible!!! hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you continue to argue and fight and whatnot instead of breaking up it's more like pulling the band-aid off of a hairy leg slowly and painfully. Just end it and make it one quick rip.

brad cook
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dude, DO NOT stay with her out of convienience... That's a ****tty thing to do... What're you gonna do? Marry her, just so she won't be upset? What about YOU?

Seriously, the moment you realize its done, its time to start planning an exit.

I married the girl of convience, & I can tell you from experience. Hanging on, is ABSOLUTELY the wrong thing to do. The longer you stay, the more you cement yourself into a postion of no-escape.

I'm not saying "go play the field" or anything, but damn... Don't screw over YOUR life, because you don't wanna hurt her feelings.
  17. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Good analogy.
  18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Are you in love with her? Is it worth putting time and energy into making things better? Can you picture yourself alone or with someone else?

Breaking up or keeping things the same might not be the only options. If you want to make a go at it, try to deal with the problems.

But, if you've decided that this is not the right relationship for you and you're delaying the inevitable, do the right thing for yourself and her...end it. Be nice, do it in person. Be honest about how you're feeling but don't attack her.

Say you're sorry but don't hang around for an hour to comfort her (and perhaps hook up...).

For more ideas, listen to "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover" :rolleyes:.

19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Make up sex! YAY!
  20. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

It seems to me you've already made your mind up, you're just worried about the consequences.