Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hmmm Stingray for Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Mar 7, 2006.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Thinking of trading my EB MM SR-5 for a lakland skyline 55-02. Am I nuts?

2. No, but Im curious as to why? Stingray too aggressive? Want something more versitile?

3. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    You're nuts

4. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Yes. You are nuts. Don't do eet, man.

5. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    YOU FEELTHY WORM!!

Hahaha Ok so I'm nuts. The Musicman is definetly not too agressive ( click my band link and have a listen ), but we tune ADGCF and the longer scale length on the Lakland definetly does help a great deal. Plus I can get VEEEEERRRY close to the Stingray sound with the Lakland set a certain way. I like the lakland's mid control much better than the stingray, but as far as versatility goes, I leave the bass & treble flat on my stingray, pull the mid out just a touch, plug into my Ashdown ABM Evo II 500, engage the preshape and leave the EQ disengaged. I'm not a super EQ freak. I definetly do like having the ability to flip the coil tap on the lakland and getting a nice Jaco sound for my melody lines....

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I have both.. imo the 55-02 bottom end is smoother and more even than the SR5.. it's closer to an even sinewave synth bass patch than the SR5 which very much has it's sharp "bite" on the attack of each note...

hard to explain.. the 55-02 low end definition is smoother and more solid through the whole passing of each note where the SR5 has it's little grunt at the beginning of each note... also depends how you hit it..

in short... buy both.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    And give me both of them :)

:bag:

9. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I traded my SR5 for a Skyline JO5 and couldn't be happier. I tune ADADG for most songs with my current band, and the 35" scale really helps. Of course the Fralins are more agressive than the Barts, so it wasn't too much of a change.

So in short, I do not think you're crazy. I've been very impressed with the quality for the money with the Lakland Skyline series.

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Yes, buy both. There has to be some minor upcoming purchase you can put off....

Or, IIRC you have a baby, so I'd suggest switching to cloth diapers. You'll save loads......

.....Perhaps I should rephrase that. :p You'll save a lot of money that can be used towards the "Bass Fund."

11. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    "Leesen to me, you moron. I am smart, and you are stupid. I know how to get around that beeg, dopey sarge..."

Dude, I may be biased because I've owned a few MM's, but I would rather see you save your pennies and buy a USA built Lakland (though the differences bewteen the Skyline and the USA models are not that dramatic...I think the USA model necks are quartersawn. BP did a comparison of the two a few years back). Also, you could probably sell your MM 5 on eBay and get more $$$ than trading it in. I've played both Skylines and USA Laklands side by side...while the Skylines are very nice, once you do a side by side the differences become more apparent. As my girlfriend likes to say, "It's the little things that matter." Not that she was talking about me, mind you...I think...

12. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I don't think you are crazy. I would put my 55-02 up against any SR5. The Lakland is good for switching back and forth between tones with no fuss. It is just a smooth bass.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It is not nuts to switch a SR5 for 55-02 or 55-94. They are two pretty distinct basses, especially if you are talking a SR5 and a Bart equipped 55-02. Having both is great though, and I am seriously considering getting another SR5.

14. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    I am getting ZERO ACTION on my trade offer in the classifieds.........should I take that as everyone who has a Lakland Skyline 55-02 would never consider an EB MM SR5?

Cant believe I'm getting no action on this.......even trade a $1,300 bass for a $1,100 bass........

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pablomigraine, if you don't manage to swap your SR5 for a 55-02, you should seriously check out a Ibanez RD505. This bass is 34" like a SR5 and it has the same pickup configuration as the 55-02. One big difference is that it has Duncan Design pups made by Ibanez. It has a coil tap that is activated by pulling up the volum knob and it pretty much offer the same coil options as a 55-02. The sound is a bit brighter than a Bart equipped 55-02, probably because of the Duncans. The RD505 is well made with solid tuners and a nice bridge. It has a basswood body and a maple top. Best of all, these basses run less than $450. It is a great way to see if a 55-02 type of bass would work for you without such a great investment. Hopefully you could keep your SR5 too.:bassist:

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Maybe try selling it and using the money to buy one? That's basically a trade anyway....

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I tried to upload picture from the Ibanez site but wouldn't fit. After backing out of deal with a TB'er after I realized that it made no sense to get another four (I really feel bad about letting the guy down), I decided on a budget five to back up my 55-02. After realizing that I liked the darker tones of the 55-02 over brighter basses, I find that the only slightly brighter RD505 makes for a great alternative and backup. I am officially pushing the RD505. I love the 55-02, but if that is a stretch, the Ibanez is great. Remember I love my 55-02, so the RD505 must be cool.