1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hmmm. The world of five string bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Oct 2, 2013.

1. I've got the itch for a new bass... Haven't got one since my Ric two years ago..

I'm thinking about venturing into the world of cheap Five string bass.

I'm hoping to get something that will cover everything I'm going to be doing, old school country along with polkas, waltz etc, 60sbritish invasion mixed with abit of regular classic rock, and hopefully some straight up modern top 40. Funk and disco on the side..

So I'm looking at the:

Squier Vintage Modified Active 5 string,

The new Squier Vintage Modified 5 string P, probably with a replacement pick-up of some sort to get a more "modern" tone

Musicman SubRay 5, (I'll be waiting for the red/brown version to come out)

Any other suggestions, opinions on these three?

Thanks guys!

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Not really. If you want a cheap, all-purpose instrument, there are many, many options available. Practically any one of them could suffice.

MM

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yamaha BB425x. Often overlooked, utterly outstanding series.

4. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    I recently took the plunge into the world of 5-string basses about a month ago with a Fender Modern Player Jazz V.

Beautiful instrument and relatively cheap too. Check 'em out!

5. This.

6. simenandreas

simenandreas

Jan 23, 2011
  7. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    What about the Ibanez SR505?

I have only tried the 4 string version, but the smooth sanded feel of those necks really stand out, IMHO. The weight and balance is good, and the humbuckers with active electronics makes it versatile when it comes to dial in the sound you want. I find it competes easily with Warwicks at 2-3 times the price when it comes to playability.

8. atracksler

atracksler

Oct 30, 2007
    Ive played a 4001 forever, at lest it feels like forever since i scratched and saved to buy one at 16...I recently bought a Sterling Ray35, its pretty awesome, can dial it in kinda rick like, if i want, but sounds huge and great and totally different. Gives a nice new paintbrush in my tonal palette.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast

May 2, 2009
    NY
    I play an SR505 & love it. Sounds great! Has a pretty fast neck for a 5 string and it's a light weight bass.

10. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Warwick Rock Bass 5ers are good and Dirt Cheap!

The music you play doesn't seem to "Require" a 5-string. To be honest other than the Low D, and being able to walk up to the Low E, F, G, the 5th String isn't much use for "Normal" music. Oh, the B-String makes a Nifty Thumb Rest.

I played with a Black Sabbath tribute band. I went to 5-String because the Numb-NutZ guitarists I played with changed tunings almost every song. So instead of re-tuning or changing basses I would just play up or down the neck as needed. E & C# tunings mostly.

Good luck with your hunt for a DC 5er!

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Yes it is. That was my first 5 string. It is a decent starter bass but it is kind of flimsy. I gave mine to my son and got a Schecter that I liked much better. Then I got a Fender JV24 and began to settle into what I like in a bass. I now play a MTD KZ5 which I am very happy with. The JV24 made me realize that I prefer the wider string spacing which is the same as on my Kz.

I know where you can get a decent Schecter Stilletto Studio 5 with a hardshell case at a decent price.....:bag:

12. +1 to Yamaha

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Ibanez sr505 or Peavey Foundation 5 on the used market are great 34" choices, Spector's Legend 5 or Schecter's Stiletto Elite 4 or Studio 5 are great choices for 35" scale...

All of the above are better choices on the used market than the ones mentioned in the OP, IMO/IME...

- georgestrings

14. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
  15. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    An excellent 5er! Passive and very Fenderish with the looks and P & J pickups.

There's a few new ones hanging around at $449.99 but it's out of production. Can get one used for $250 to $350.

Can't go wrong with this high quality MIT bass. (made in Taiwan)

16. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Spector Legend series is the best bang for the buck with an actual useful low B for that price range. Being a mostly lifelong 5'er player, Fenfers are about as bad as it gets when it comes to having a musical B instead of just a "thud". The Warwick RockBasses are great for the $$ as well.

17. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Feb 20, 2013
    I recently got my first 5-string bass, it was a warwick. so it wasn't particularly cheap, OP, is this your first 5-string? Why do you want one? Knowing the reason might help nail down the answer!

18. Thanks for all the replies guys!

Main reason I want to get a five is for ease of use, the abilty to play low fifths in my country band, and hopefully hit some of those synth type notes in the more poppy stuff.

Those Yamaha basses always seemed pretty cool, maybe I'll check them out.

19. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I just got a Squier VM Jazz 5 and it's really a nice bass . Sounds very good , plays great and also looks very good . I bought it for a backup to my Carvin B50 but I would be happy with the Squier as my main bass . It is heavy at 11 pounds but I'm ok with that with a wide strap .

That being said I think the guys suggesting the Yamaha BB 415/425 are pretty much right on the mark . I had a BB425 and it was more like a $1000 bass than a $400 quality wise . Really great basses , very much a step above the Squiers . The Squier VM series basses are nice but the Yamahas BB basses are great .

20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I am GASing for the new Yamaha TRBX series, however for now... I... am... resisting... GAS!!!!!