Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hmn...new bass tremelo from Hipshot.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Cool.... but the means justify the cost? i would only put one on a junker or get an essex and WAP that baby on. get yourself a wah pedal and distortion with that baby........now THAT would sound interesting.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That might be interesting for an Essex or something of the like! Hey for < $300 for the bass and bridge, I could justify a new Essex to put that on!

4. Mucho routing. Looks gaudy. Bass won't stay in tune.

that being said, bring it on baby!

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Those prices arent bad considering what the old Kahler trems go for on Ebay.

It looks like a cool idea I might try one day.

Peace
    Nick

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Dun dun DUNNN!

Man, I don't even like tremolos on guitars.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Cool. Now I just have to wait until a few reviews come out on it once a few people have had a chance to try em. For the price that Peavey Millenium Plus basses have been going for, I can see picking another one of them up and sticking one of these things on it. But, if they don't work worth a poop, I won't bother wasting the money. And I am not gonna be one of the first to try em.;)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, what have they been going for lately?

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those prices are awesome. If the quality of these is the same as other hipshot products, they are a bargain.

Let's see. MTD Kingston 5, $500. 5 string tremolo, $185. Yep. That will do the trick.:)

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, for a bit more than an Essex, if you pick up a plus model. I am talking about Ebay, too, not in stores. I have seen some 4 stringers in used/new condition go for under $400 lately. I got my Plus J 4 stringer for $450.

I would only do it to a bass that cost this much if the trem has been proven to work very well first. I don't wanna spend the dough to be a crash test dummy.:D

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Yeah well you guys that hate Trems will hate mine twice as much!

[​IMG]

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Huh? maybe i'm not looking at it right,,, are there TWO trems on that thing? WHY? What purpose would two trems serve? i'm sure i'll understand in a mintue. One for the bass side and one for the treble side?:confused:

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Correct. The bridge installed above is a double trem system made by the folks at:

My Double Whammy

One for the E & A strings and the other for the D & G.

I installed it on my old ESP Jazz clone which already had many routes under the pickguard anyway. These systems require quite a bit of routing (see pic below).

I'm personally at a loss as how to use even one of these while playing but I do know many players who do.

[​IMG]

14. ...Woah. You are the keeper of cool Dude! Double trem, mirror guard, neato torpedo knobs....

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Here's what I tried before the double trem...didn't care for this mod either. I installed some '62 Reissue string mutes I bought from Bill Gable on eBay...totally unable to play the bass with these on! I play around with different stuff with the hope of finding some mod that'll all of a suden make me play like Billy Sheehan or something and of course none of them do.

[​IMG]

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dude, if you ever find one, let me know, OK? I could use a mod like that!:D

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Ok will do...hmmmm maybe some of these boots????

[​IMG]

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's just. . .wrong

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    That shot of Billy was taken in 1976 at a Talas gig in Buffalo NY.

20. NICE. Very classy. Very