1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HNBD: 1964 Gibson EB-2(D)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.Fingers, Jul 24, 2012.

1. So I had this 12-string Rickenbacker which wasn't seeing much action, so I was looking for something new. Got a call yesterday from a man who had this sunburst Gibson bass, and he wanted to trade, so we did. And now I have a 1964 Gibson EB-2, with a factory conversion to 2D in 1967 (that's why the knobs are located differently), in very good overall condition. I'm a happy camper!

87ee3ef0.

2. No love for the EB-2? Anyway, here are some more pics. I really dig the walnut-stained back & sides. Guess this was an unique feature for the 1964 instruments, as the rest I've seen on the internet has got a normal sunbursted back.

b8a34374.
    e03258bd.
    52fcbbec.
    72f142b3.
    57f80fce.
    465bf071.

3. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Very nice! Love those old EB-2 as well as the Rivoli basses. Was just listening to that Tremeloes song the other day.

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't want to rain on the parade that is this nice bass, but why do you think it was a "factory conversion" to the double pickup?

5. Doser

Doser

Jul 24, 2012
    Rochester, New York
    That is a beautiful instrument you have there. I really love the sound of the semihollowbody electric basses. Almost bought an orange gretsch semihollowbody from guitar center before I found a slot head eb3l at a local shop and fell in love with the taper-free neck. Still wanna pick one up someday. Congrats!

6. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Nice old bass! :cool:

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Very nice. I've never seen the Walnut stain on the back of an EB-2. Maybe when the second PU was added they had to remove the original back and replaced it with the walnut stained one.

8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm in lust. Great find. Let the plank players play flat boards. That's just flat out great. The headstock on my 1968 is a little different from yours. Beats me why, but yours just looks a little narrower.

9. Drop-D

Drop-D

Mar 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    Agreed with above statements.

I would rock the hell out of that thing. Cheers!

10. I've seen it on a few EB-2's I was watching on craigslist/ebay/gbase, and only the instruments made in 1964, but then again, not ALL the instruments made in 1964 had this. I like it that it's different from the rest of the basses out there.

http://www.gibsonbass.net/for-sale/...64-gibson-eb-2-bass-guitar-with-original-case

http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=2152&type=Bass Guitar

11. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    great bass! Looks like a nice chunky neck

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Lovely bass. Congrats!

13. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    It is not a factory issue or factory conversion.
    The mini humbucker is too far rearwards and is usually situated more to the center of the body. On factory issue, the pick guard is recessed about an inch in to snug fit the pick up surround. Kind of a right angled cut out. Look at the other EB 2D's on Ebay and you will see it.

Also, The back does not have to be removed to fit that pick up.

Hope this helps.