Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hobbies that help with Bass Playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Paul A, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone has hobbies that help with their bass playing?
    With me it's Power Kiting (y'know body surfing,buggying,jumping,scudding....that kind of stuff).
    I swear it helps with arm,back and upper body strength.
    Rgds
    Paul

2. I listen to alot of music so I can learn different timings(Latin Jazz)and I dabble on other instruments like guitar and piano.

3. I would say the best hobbies to help with bass playing would be:
    A) Practicing :D
    B) Exercising, especially cardiovascular
    C) Listening to weird, far-out music for inspiration

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My guess would be any hobby or craft that develops good finger agility, even knitting or crocheting (for the gals) or making model airplanes or cars or suchlike.

I would also think weight training, especially for the back and shoulders (to make standing with heavy basses easier, and weight training that strengthens the biceps, triceps, forearms and wrists. Also cardio, for stamina.

I'd also reccommend any hobby that gets your mind OFF bass guitar for a while, in that it refreshes one's mind and helps bring a different perspective. That could include reading, travel, gardening, cooking, going to movies, or volunteering in nursing homes or other similar activities.

Jason Oldsted

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Here are some great hobbies:

Dancing (not just jumping around, the real thing) - Helps with your sense of rhythm, plus you also get to listen to music and exercise;

Singing (especially with a group) - If you can sing it, you can play it. 'nuff said.

Swimming - low-impact, low investment sport (a pair of goggles, some trunks and a membership at a swimming pool. compare that to a set of golf clubs). You exercise every muscle, your problems go away for a while (a lot like when you play a gig, except no one's smoking, drunk, puking or using your amp as a beer table). If that weren't enough, you're also perfecting a skill that might save your life someday.

Photography. Exercise your sense of visual esthetic instead of just your ears. Caution, this one's expensive!:(

Will C.:cool:

6. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Swing dancing is a pretty cool hobby. I guess it helps in that you get to work on your time and your endurance at the same time. Also, if you play alot of big-band style music, you can get into the mood for playing it much easier when you think of dancing it. I guess. Or maybe I'm just making all that up to justify doing it in a musical sense. Not that it needs any justification!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Playing bongos(I was too cheap to buy some congas)...
    Really! :D

...(think about it).

8. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Mathematics helps with bass playing, believe me - it helps out building patterns in the creation of basslines.

For some guys, doing arithmetical stuff is fun, for others it's not, but just think of doing puzzles :cool:

9. When I get a chance,sometimes I'll do karaoke.It's a very vulnerable feeling when you don't have a real band to back you up and the timing is definitely in a different perspective.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    KARAOKE?!?!?!?!?!?! :confused:

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!! :mad:

;) :D

(Keep in mind, in some places "professional" karaoke singers are getting PAYING gigs and putting bands out of work...:rolleyes: )

As far as hobbies that I feel help me with my playing, I've got a large Koi pond (16'X 8'X 2') in my back yard, and caring for it is very relaxing, takes my mind off everything. Just sitting by it and watching them is kinda trance inducing sometimes, guess it's like meditating. Other than that I love to hike, but in Louisiana, there aren't too many good places (too flat :( ), I do make it a point to take a trip a couple times a year to somewhere good for it though.

11. I've had some fun with running and using it (i.e., me) as a lifesize metronome. Lots of hills here so I try to keep a steady pace (beat) whether going uphill or down. Naturally, a song goes with the beat and a bassline with the song so I'm having a good time doing a monotonous thing.
    Just keep the same pace for an hour, like disco! Swimming also is a good one for rhythm as this will help you develop say, four kicks per two strokes at an even pace. Try that for 96 lengths, 43 minutes, 1 mile, and you work on timing, arms, shoulders. Finger strength is vital. Try those guitar finger-press things or hand grips. Keep one in the car and when you're driving grip something usefull. :) The grips do a better job of strengthening. On the Zen side, try silence and listen to other sounds in the world, following their interplay and rhythms. Find a rhythm in everything, then attach a major, minor, seventh key, add a bassline and percussion and the world is singing no matter where you are! Good emotional exercise too.

12. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Animals are one of my other hobbies. I have 3 horses, 5 goats, 2 dogs and 2 cats. Keeping them all happy and their living quarters clean is quite a workout, excellent for upper body strength and not TOO bad on the nose.;) They also take my mind off of anything else. I love working with the horses after a full day of staring at numbers and the computer screen. Tends to unwind my brain. :D

13. TO Gard: If it's any comfort, I stay away from the Elvis stuff.It is a weird feeling to "play" a song without your usual instrument. BTW, I don't sing well enough to put any one out of business.

14. Cabinet making, electronics and mechanics are a great help if you as I am not wealthy. I am ok in two of the above and am working on my mechanical skills.

15. I build my own rigs (2 of'em now, 3rd comin' up) (maybe you wanna see some pictures of them? Try the "post pics of your amps" thread).

That's my only hobby, except maybe hanging around clubs.

And I do some web page building.

16. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Electronics classes and books have helpd me greatly (in diagnosing problems, building a cabinent, and helping my friends out with questions about amps/electronics). Playing trombone has helped me out a ton. I used to play piano and that helped me out a bit with trombone (so it helped indirectly with bass). I also used to sing: it's kinda nice to be able to hum a tune to yourself in tune!

17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi Joris!
    Good to hear you!
    Wonder if you can helpout on my other thread "Speakers...Help!"
    Rgds
    Paul