1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hockey players? I need advice on equipment!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sarcastro83, Apr 17, 2009.

1. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    So after a long break from playing hockey (12 Years), I want to get back into it. I need equipment. Can any hockey players out there recommend any affordable equipment of good quality? Skates, pads, and the like?

I play defence, if it matters.

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Don't chintz on the skates is #1

I started playing organized hockey about 2 yrs ago, at age 40, and had used skates, cheap pants, gloves and cheap shoulder pads.

I have since upgraded my skates to brand new Reebok 5's, replaced my pants, gloves and shoulder pads.

The skates made a HUGE difference in my game. I could skate recreational but hockey skating, as you know, is totally different. Make sure you get them fitted properly, too. They aren't the same size as your street shoes.

As for the pants - I upgraded to pants with a good sized tailbone protector. Trust me, landing hard on your ass on ice hurts.

My shoulder pads I replaced after being in a mid-ice collision and taking an elbow into the left pec/sternum which resulted in bruised ribs, out of hockey for 3 weeks and the loss of 3 gigs because I couldn't breath to sing!!! Get shoulder pads with very good chest protection.

My shin and elbow pads are fine; taking a shot off the shins doesn't hurt too much with my set.

I guess what I am saying is, spend the cash for decent gear right off the hop.

Enjoy!