1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hockey: Red Army Documentary

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Bob Lee (QSC), 47th Street and MJ5150 like this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Cool, cool, cool stuff. Thanks for sharing the link.

-Mike

3. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    NPR thought a lot of it! I vowed to find it after hearing their review.
    Really glad you reminded me.

4. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The introduction of Russian players into the NHL really did create a kind of revolution of play all around. They were influential far beyond their numbers.
    The story behind how it all came to pass is absolutely fascinating. Fetisov is one of the most famous and beloved individuals in Russia today even though few Americans have heard of him.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. the harp unstrung

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Jon Stewart Finally had a segment / an interview re The Red Army last night. I saw it this evening. I am reminded ONCE AGAIN!

6. The Russians were way ahead of North America in their conditioning. The Russian government could also provide many more "incentives" to motivate coaches and players.

7. the harp unstrung

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Must have been after the fall of Sadam that I heard a few stories about how Iraq employed 'incentives' in order to keep their Olympic and World Cup athletes motivated...Sadam - Putin...Putin -Sadam...some guys just beg for a sharp stick in the eye...

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...is this available on disc?

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Not a hockey fan, but who'd'a thought that taking ballet would help in playing hockey; not me!

10. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I played amateur hockey for years before I started practicing figure skating. It made a noticeable improvement in my game.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Once I went to an exhibition game between the New England Whalers and the touring Soviet All-Stars, around 1978 or 79.

Sometimes the Soviets advanced down the ice with one of the wingers handling the puck. After crossing the blue line, often both wingers would abruptly cut and cross over to the other side, left to right and right to left. Sometimes the guy with the puck would drop it to the other winger, and sometimes he kept it. And they executed this pretty fast. So the Whalers goalie and defense had to quickly react to the puck being over in the right faceoff circle, or maybe over on the left one. Sometimes they antipicipated right, and sometimes wrong, and the guessing game led to good scoring opportunities for the Soviets. The Whalers players were frustrated and stepped up the physical play (defenceman Rick Ley hip checked one of the Soviet players into his own bench), but this resulted in a lot more power play opportunities for the visitors. The score was pretty lopsided, like 7-2 or something.

DiabolusInMusic and 47th Street like this.
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My wife's old college roommate had a son who did ballet into his teens. He joined the army after graduating high school, and in basic training he demolished the record time on the obstacle course.

JimK and 47th Street like this.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

As far as Summit Series is concerned, the Russians were also well ahead of us in their skill level.

The Russians came and changed the game while the Canadians played a dirty, greasy, contact heavy game. We won the series but Russia outplayed us. This is not something most Canadians will acknowledge and most consider the suggestion blasphemy, but it is true.

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Soviets/Flyers?
    Ed Van Impe crushed one of their stars...and the Soviets left the ice.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The ol' "If ya can't beat them in the alley, ya can't beat them on the ice".
    John Brophy, anyone?

47th Street and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  16. The Red Army team was deemed to be an "amateur" squad as they were not paid professionals in the hockey sense. What they were though, were members of the Soviet Red Army and as such, hockey was their job.
    I won't argue that their skill level wasn't above the North American skill level at the time, but what I would say is that they certainly weren't accustomed to the North American game and the rigors of full contact aggressive hockey. To this day, they still don't have the "heart" that we do, with only a few who really show up at playoff time.
    Fishheadjoe

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...which makes the Miracle On Ice the greatest upset ever, IMO.

There's a docu where the Soviet players were asked, on the street, back home-
    "You lost to students? Were you drunk?"

:)

18. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I've seen a lot of tape of that series, and while I've never really said anything about it (living in Bobby Clarke's backyard here in South Jersey outside Philly) I was embarrassed by how Canada played in that series. They won, which is the point, but they played dirty and too often without honor. The Soviets had set plays that they used on all opponents, and the Canadians felt they would win simply because they were just so good; they didn't need plays if they could just skate around and dazzle and baffle. The Canadians really had no idea how to counter a team constantly employing set plays against them. Clarke breaking Valery Karmalov's ankle is simply embarrassing to watch no matter who you rooted for (IMHO). There's no "doing what it takes to win" involved in breaking someone's ankle on purpose. In my own mind it was just as much the Flyers and Bruins mentality of the day as Canada's, but they didn't suit up wearing Flyers and Bruins sweaters, so...
    And that's the first and last time I speak on it in public :) My next door neighbor Ted Harris would no doubt correct me on all of this!

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Not to steal the OP's thunder but this doc, appropriately titled Valery's Ankle, talks about how violent the Canadians were. It's been a while since I watched it but it struck a chord with me as a Canuck.

EDIT: I just used the link to go to the site, it gave me this.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Did Bobby Clarke break the video, too?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021