Hocus Pocus

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I was over at a friend's house on Saturday, and he showed me a couple of video files that he had saved on his PC. One was a gloriously tacky video for the song "Apache" by some 70's band.

The other thing that commanded my attention was jawdroppingly amazing was a live performance of "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. It was from some early 70's show with Gladys Knight introducing them. Has anyone ever seen them or seen any footage of them? The keyboard/flutist/yodeler guy is a cross between Bobcat Goldthwait and Andrew W.K. (looked like Bobcat, facial expressions like Andrew W.K.) The rest of the band is a bunch of 70's lookin' guys, but it was a stunning performance for sure. At the end the audience was standing up and applauding.
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that was a killer cut!
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They have some decent stuff. I had a couple of their records before I sold my record collection.

brad cook
  4. Thor

-11 :mad:

Tell me there was no female involved there somehow ...

I'm never selling mine, ever! I am gonna have a Viking
    funeral and the records are gonna burn with my basses
    and the rest of the stuff I will need in Valhalla.
  5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i saw them back in the '70's ...

R.E.O. Speedwagon was the opening band , followed by
    The James Gang { Joe Walsh } , followed by Focus .

outstanding music really , too bad i never bought any of
    their albums ...
  6. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Listening to it right now. Even though im a jazz listener myself i always have a spot for 70's rock. love the yoodling(sp?)
  7. Thor

Interesting lineup.

I am still suffering tinnitus from my last James Gang show.
  8. ...30 years ago... :p
  9. Thor

Try 35 ... :eek: :smug:
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Aw HELL naw!

I've never been a stickler for vinyl or a serious collector or anything. I just used to buy records casually because you could get obscure stuff for cheap. I haven't had a record player for several years though and I just decided to get rid of them. I only had about 90. I've got tons of CDs anyway.

brad cook
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I recall seeing Focus on one of those old In Concert shows...they came on at 11:30 Friday nights; I used to go to bed early & hadda set my alarm. Anyway, Focus ROCKED! IIRC, the album with "Hocus Pocus" had 2 different covers...when they got pseudo-popular, a different cover appeared.

I really wish the powers-to-be would issue those In Concert shows into a DVD set. I would love to relive those times with The Allman Brothers, Stevie Wonder, Doobies, Curtis Mayfield, Seals & Crofts, Steve Miller, Jethro Tull, etc.
    The Alice Cooper show? My area pulled the plug...I do recall sitting there thinking "*** happened"? I think our local affiliate turned the switch bak on to catch Shawn Phillips. Oh, boy.

I saw The James Gang(w/ Tommy Bolin) back in '75; they opened for the Edgar Winter Group w/ Rick Derringer. On the James Gang's 1st number("Ride The Wind"? from Bang), some hot, hot, ultra-hot blonde in a white Summer dress climbed onto the stage & kissed Roy Kenner for the entire tune.
    Killer show...my 1st real concert.
  12. Thor

+11 then.

I use the 300+ I have when I want to mine obscure covers
    to work out. At least half the stuff has not been reissued
    to my knowledge.

I knew one guy whose wife got rid of all his albums.
    I don't think they are married anymore.

( No, not Tim Cole ... ;) )
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +Avogadro's number
  14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I saw them live back in the 70's, but it was back in the 70's, so I don't really remember much...

15. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    For those of us who are wondering who did "Apache" , I'm going to go out on a limb and guess ( if memory serves me correct--and it usually does ;) ) that it was none other than The Shadows. It was a hit for them in the 60's.
  16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Fatboy Slim did a killer cover of "Apache" a few years ago.
  17. It wasn't the Shadows.

I mean, yes, the Shadows did the song "Apache," but the film clip that I saw was not the Shadows performing it. It was "???? Band" written on the kick drum, but I couldn't read it. (the kind of font on Badfinger's "Straight Up" album) Might have began with S. Like "Sugarloaf Band" or something.

I'm tempted to say this was from around 76 or so. They had early 70's hairstyles, but 'grooved' like they hung out at Studio 54. In buckskins.
  18. Edgar Broughton Band methinks? :)
  19. I don't think it was the Edward Broughton Band. They look really cool, why haven't I ever heard of them?

In any case the focal point of the clip was the keyboardist (in buckskins) doing the "vocals," which it looks like the focal point of the EBB was EB himself. Just guessing.
  20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nobody's mentioned the guy's name in this thread yet, but the original guitarist for Focus, Jan Akkerman, was excellent. He's still around and still recording, though I haven't caught any of his stuff lately. The guy who came in after him, Philip Catherine, was great too. He's also still around.

IIRC the flutist/keyboardist/yodeler was named Thijs van Leer.