Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hoffman Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ustillflyin, Aug 4, 2003.

1. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    Having recently succumbed to the force and pull of the "Dark Side" I went to Shar Music in Ann Arbor MI. and played a Hoffman. It was a Blem unit and they were asking a cool grand for it, but I liked the sound and playability so I bought it (picking it up later this week).

Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer, good, bad or indifferant?

Thanks in advance

2. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    Well,I've had the Hoffman for a couple of weeks now and I must say it's not to bad for an entry
    level bass. According to an extensive google search the Hoffman is produced by the same factory that produces the Christopher. From the pictures it looks like they share the same markings on the back, so maybe the Hoffman is just a relabeled christopher.

Anyway, the action is pretty good, and the tone is clean and fairly full sounding, although it does seem a bit weak in volume when playing pizz
    (that could be because I'm so new to playing this kind of bass)

Shar music did the set-up and the only comment my teacher said was that He suspected that the sound post was set more for classical than for pizz.

I got a beginers bow (wood of some kind) and I'm already learning to make halfway decent sounds.

Have A Blessed Day