1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner 500/1 Control Panel Repro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minuteman78, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Minuteman78

Minuteman78

Feb 14, 2010
    As an owner of an original '68 Hofner 500/1, I've been looking for a "repro" Control Panel. Does anyone make one? I had originally WANTED to replace it because the switches and pots had gotten so crackly, I couldn't play it, even in Church. So then I got the bright idea to soak the whole thing less knobs in isopropyl alcohol. As an Austrian once said - "Bad Idea." Apparently those brilliant German engineers figured out how to procure plastic that is at least partially alcohol soluble. The panel got ruined - all the lettering is gone and it has a texture like I sanded it with 60 grit. Now I HAVE to replace it. :help: And I don't feel like shelling out $295 to North Coast when I don't get paid to play. I swore I saw a repro one somewhere online without the knobs a couple months ago, but can't seem to relocate it, and no it was not an Icon panel - I don't want to go that route and start putting extra holes in my '68. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. MM78

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
  3. Minuteman78

Minuteman78

Feb 14, 2010
    Well...$38.50 for just the plate. My, the Germans are proud of their products. But even if I go this route, how does one go about attaching the switches? Glue? And what kind of glue is safe for plastic which is alcohol-soluble? :rolleyes:

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Try North Coast Music.

5. Minuteman78

Minuteman78

Feb 14, 2010
    Gee whiz, thanks, I explicitly say I (a) can't afford NCM's prices as I don't get paid to play, and (b) am looking for a repro which I DID see at some point, and get NCM as a solution. Very Orwellian.

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    You're welcome d-bag!

7. jimtone

jimtone

Feb 23, 2012
    Have you seen anyone post about building a Mod panel with cream switches themself? I have an original panel that is missing one of the 250K pots and would like to remount all the components on a new brass plate since my plate is galvanizes metal and was cut off at the edge of the switches to remove the missing pot.

8. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Why don't you check at the unofficial Hofner forum? Google 'Hofner Hounds'.

9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto