Hofner 500/2 Club Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by enigma49, Nov 22, 2002.

1. enigma49

Nov 22, 2002
    I just took my 1966 Hofner 500/2 Club bass out of storage. I restrung it with "original" Hofner flats. Sounds pretty crappy. I was wondering if anybody else uses a Hofner and, if so, what other strings are available to give me a better sound. I know this semi-hollow bass has a different tone than the newer solids, but there has to be a better set of strings for a fuller range of sound for this bass. If anyone has experience with the Hofner short scale (30") bass, please suggest a good set of strings (wound or flat). Thanks.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't have a Hofner Club :(. The first things that come to mind
    tho are either Pyramid Gold Pure Nickel Flats (short scale, 40-100,
    kinda' pricey) or Rotosound RS88-S (short scale, tapewound, 65-

I DO have an Epiphone Jack Casady (semi-acoustic, long scale).
    I've had good luck with Pyramid Flats and Thomastik-Infeld Jazz
    Flats. T/I makes a JF324 set (for 32" scale). I dunno if those would
    work on a 30" scale tho...? Others (including Mr. Casady) prefer
    Dean Markley Blue Steel (S/S R/W) on this model.

GHS and D'Addario (both less $$$ :) ) offer a number of sets
    in short scale. GHS: Precision Flats, Boomers (Ni plated Steel,
    roundwound), Brite Flats (Ni-Iron Ground R/W), and Pressurewound
    (Ni-Iron Rollerwound). D'Addario: ½-Round (ground S/S R/W),
    XL (Ni R/W), and Prism (S/S R/W).

DR offers a short scale set of Sunbeams (Ni plated R/W). They have
    a round core (like T/I's Jazz series). They're lower in tension (than
    hex core strings) and IME have a better feel.

( JustStrings.com :D )
  3. enigma49

Nov 22, 2002
    Thanks, notduane. If I'm not mistaken, the "new" Hofners are being shipped with Pyramid strings. I haven't heard one of them yet. I checked out JustStrings.com and noticed their short scale offerings in various brands. Since "great tone" is a more or less personal taste, I guess I'll have to drop the cash and keep buying strings until I find a set that I like. Thanks again for your help.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a Rogue violin bass and put LaBella Beatle Bass strings on it. They sound great. The headstock part of the string is really thin to go around the small Hofner tuning keys. My bass has regular-sized bass tuners, so I don't really need this feature, but it would be good on a Hofner, I bet.
  5. enigma49

Nov 22, 2002
    Monkey, thanks for the sting info. Do you happen to know if the 500/1 Beatle Bass and the 500/2 Club Bass use the same size (scale) strings? They look identical and I think it's the same neck, but I'm not sure. When you ask someone in the music store, you get blank looks. Guess I'll have to experiment.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I would think they are the same scale length, but I couldn't find info on the net to verify that. I bet the LaBellas would work fine.
    Here's a link to JustStrings: http://juststrings.com/lab-760rhbb.html

I forgot how pricey they were!:(