1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner 500/2 Club German bass insight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Laurent, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I am contemplating buying a used German made Hofner Club 500/2. The bass plays great and sounds terrific.
    It's a sunburst with stainless steel colored pickups and no Hofner decal on the body of the bass (current models have this), I suspect it a few years old but can't date it.
    The bass is in near mint condition as far as I can tell.

What's a current fair price for such a bass?
    Is there anything I should know about buying a used German Hofner?

Thanks for the insight, I've had many basses in my life but I have zero experience with Hofners.

2. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    How old is it? Is it 1990’s or newer?..... Sorry, looks like you don’t really know for sure. I’ve owed I couple from the 2000’s and had good luck with them. Played a few older ones that didn’t seem nearly as nice. I’ve seen people trying to get close to 2k for them but I think I sold my 500/1 for $1200. And for the 500/2 with the cavern spaced pickups I was only able to get $1650 I think. There’s a guy on here that has a lot of experience with them. Can’t think of his name. He’ll probably weigh in. I’ll send his name when I remember. Fun basses! Sound great! Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  3. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Many thanks for your input; it's highly appreciated.

4. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    FranF. Check with him. I’ve spoken to him in the past.

5. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    K. Thanks++.

6. I have three German made Hofner Club basses and love them. I also have a Hofner Ignition Club bass and love it as well. Cool basses, especially with flats on them!

Laurent likes this.