1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner 5001 new or vintage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Type-55, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Play a lot of Beatle stuff in a band and I'm thinking about getting a Hofner 5001. Any major sound/build difference between a 60"s 5001 and a new one?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    DOES ANYONE PLAY A HOFNER????????????
    I CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONE HAS??????????????

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

The build quality of todays Hofner's is better than those of the 60's. There's many reasons for that. One is the glue used today is much superior to that used during the 60's.

Hofner went through a period during the 80's and early 90's when the company was owned by Christan Benker of producing instruments with little to no quality control. When Boosey & Hawkes bought the company from Mr Benker, they saw to it that their quality control standards were met or exceeded. The basses produced during the past 10 yrs or so have been the best ever made by Hofner.

If you buy a used 60's 500/1, you will almost certainly need to have the neck reset if it hasn't already been done. That's because the glue in the neck pocket will have dried and lost much of it adhesion properties which in turn will permit the neck to begin to shift causing high string action and the bass not to be properly intonated. If you can afford a new 500/1, buy one. Stay away from the 60's pieces unless you happen upon one that is in outstand condition.

TD

4. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Thanks very much for the response. It answers all my questions.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

+1 ! Thorton hit it right on the head Hofners crafted today are of the highest quality and have far less issues then those of 20 plus years ago. Now that the Beatle craze is over and they have the right ownership its quality over quantity. If i was going to gig with a hofner i would only go with a new one. :bassist:

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Actually, they have new ownership again. During the 14 years that Boosey & Hawkes aka The Music Group owned Hofner, Hofner was run by Klaus Schouler. Klaus was the General Manager of the factory and saw to it that all instrument, production and design met the highest standards of manufacturing. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I visited Hofner almost 6 years ago in May of 2000.

In January of 2005, Klaus bought Hofner from The Music Group. The company is once again privately held and will most likely remain that way for many years to come.

I know that Klaus has a number of re-issue projects in development that we will all be in awe of once they are announced and production begins. Stay tuned.

TD

7. MAJOR METAL

Thats awesome, I think I heard you say on the pit he isalso more open to custom work now right ?

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Correct. I'm waiting on a price of a custom 500/1. I've given them the details and they've said yes to it. It's a good thing i'm in no hurry.

TD

9. MAJOR METAL

Please let me know how it goes . :)

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    check out northcoastmusic.com

they have a great selection of hofners.

i love my 1970 hofner 500/1.

too bad i'm selling it

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I just bought an '07 500/1V63. This bass is superbly made and plays and sounds just great! :hyper: I have been looking for a Höfner for a while and almost bought an '80 model with the blade pickups; from what I read above I am glad i did not buy that one. :meh:

12. MAJOR METAL

New Hofner rocks ! :bassist:

13. I've played my 1980 Hofner 500/1 for 30 years now.

No repairs, no neck problems, no 'glue' issues.

Some rely on one person's opinion (likely based on one bad example of some poorly cared-for vintage guitar).

The best vintage guitars rarely see the open market.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Vintage.

15. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Hofners in the 60's "budget" instruments?

16. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Yes, they were. Then a certain McCartney bought one...
    If you want a today budget Hofner, buy an Ignition!