1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner bass string size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AbrahamBaconham, Aug 28, 2012.

1. AbrahamBaconham

AbrahamBaconham

Aug 28, 2012
    I recently got a jay Tursur copy of a Hofner Violin Bass.
    I went and got a set of full size strings and they didnt fit. I then got some shortscale strings thinking that it must be a shortscale bass, only to find that the shortcale strings were way to small. What size strings do I need?

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

LaBella makes a flatwound set specifically for Hofner. I'd suggest using them, great strings and one set can last the life of the bass.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I make a living playing a Hofner(and a couple other basses), have tried every string that would fit, and I also recommend the Labella "Beatle" bass sets, I use the heavier of the two sets.
    Short-scale strings don't fit because they are designed for basses with Fender-style bridges, the extra length between the bridge and the tailpiece on violin basses throws things off.

4. AbrahamBaconham

AbrahamBaconham

Aug 28, 2012
    Im really looking for something under the $40 that they charge for the strings. I just need to know the size. Is there a size between standard and short scale?

5. ecapdeville

ecapdeville

Mar 26, 2007
    Mexico City
    All the violin basses use short scale strings... but happens that some brands are larger than others... I have never found short scale strings that doesnt fit any of my violin basses, but for my hofner I use Labella´s only (I have an epiphone viola and an eagle violin bass too)... to be shure take your bass to the store and tell them to help you to find the best option for you.

6. That sports D'Addario EXL-170M rounds.

The Jay Turser Viola is a medium scale bass. D'Addario also makes medium scale strings in a heavier gauge (160M?).

I prefer the 170s on this particular bass because they are relatively bendy being light gauge strings. More fun.