Hofner basses.....not worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Aug 21, 2002.

1. I love hofner basses, and I love the sound, but I really don't think there worth the money.
    If there really a 63 reisue, that means they don't even have a working trussrod! The frets aren't even in tune with each other. The tuning keys look like there going to break the first time you turn them.

Anyone here have the reisue?
    Can you tell me what there like?
    I borrowed a late 60's one from a friend and it wasn't too bad.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, McCartney and the hype totally screwed up the price-value relationship of them.

I had an old 500/1 and the attention to detail was sublime. But, in today's world, they can't hold a candle to the tech we have offered to us today at the same price.

If it was an acoustic instrument that had hundreds of years of history, I would have to look at it more critically.

I just read an admiring quote about Sir Paul having to put up with "that junky Hofner" Well, I wouldn't call them "junkiy" but in terms of performance, I'll take a Mazda Miata over a `56 Ford T-Bird with a 202 engine anyday.....(unles you likek to be be uncomfortable!).
  3. I played in London in the sixties when these started to get noticed. Nobody took them seriously then (and who knows if the one McCartney used was and odinary stock bass?) and cannot imagine we would now. Even then it was a copy of a Gibson - so we know where to go to get one of those if we are in search of a quality instrument. I cannot imagine anyone wanting a bass which comes without a truss rod as mentioend above. Is that really true - no truss rod?
  4. The hofner is not a copy of a gibson.
    The EB-1 came out in 53 and the hofner came out in 56 and no models were shipped over seas.
    Also, the violin bass bares no resemalence (sorry for my bad spelling) to the EB-1. Even the violin shape isn't the same. So hofners clame that there bass was concseved on there own makes sence.
  5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I played a real 63 Hofner one afternoon with flatwounds and the Beatle vibe was awesome. But I felt like I was holding one of those trembling chihuahuas and worried about breaking it. Wasn't McCartney's reasoning for getting the Hofner in the first place the fact they were cheap?
  6. Yes
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't mean to offend anyone, but I always thought that they were crap.
  8. I have one that I got for $50 in '77. The popularity of the Beatles had waned a bit and the neck had come unglued from the body which is a common occurance. I've had it repaired and she's a beauty. However, I only got it because of Paul. Paul himself had stated that he would rather have gotten a Fender but couldn't afford it. I am sure that if Paul had just been getting started today he would have purchased a Rogue violin bass for its small price and the fact that it's symetrical, what with him being a lefty and all. Then a few years down the road fans would be paying $1800 for a Rogue.
  9. I played a '64 Hofner 500/1 for about 10 years, then donated it to my church. I actually had a offer for a couple grand for it at one time, and I should have taken the money and run. Jeez.

I bought it because I'm a Beatles nut, but truth be told, that bass just doesn't sound very good, and the glued-on neck on mine popped off from time to time, and I had to have it reset.

Dale in St. Louis, MO
  10. jbucklin

Oct 24, 2001
    I just bought a '62 reissue a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. I've just started a "groove jazz" band (kind of like MMW) here in Dallas and bought the bass to be used for that kind of thing. We just played two nights at a club called Sambuca and recorded the 2nd night using a mini-disc recorder with a very good stereo mic. I also played both of my Laklands on the gig and listening to the recording I have to say that the Hofner wins the prize for vibe, mojo, and DEEP, lovely tones. The build quality is top-notch IMO.
  11. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    There's a Hofner for sale here in Liverpool, a special McCartney Cavern limited edition, that's going for £1000. :eek: I've tried it, and I think if I got too excited I could easily break the neck off it during a gig. Hofner mustn't be able to believe their luck.
  12. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I never liked them myself.
  13. jbucklin

Oct 24, 2001
    I'm glad not too many people like them; if everyone liked them, they'd be all over the place and wouldn't be unique. They're certainly not going to appeal to lovers of the "hi-fi" sound. That being said, I bet that if most of the detractors were to try a new reissue, they would be surprised by its deep and somewhat eccentric vibe.
  14. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    They may have the 'vibe', but they definately are NOT worth the money. What's worse is that people will actually spend that kind of money on them.
  15. jbucklin

Oct 24, 2001
    Well, I did and I know what I'm doing. You'd be surprised at how many "big names" are using the reissues and the old ones.
    El Pelusa likes this.
  16. I played one once in a music store and I was very impressed...with Paul McCartney. Anybody who could make a living with that bass is one hell of a player.
  17. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Thats just mean Mudbass...
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, their a hofner, the only reason Paul got one, is because it was VERY cheap. read the interview in "the bassplayers book" or whatever the name of that book was that that mag put out.they are VERY light, i agree with the fact they do feel a little.... flimsy. Over-priced indeed. VERY overpriced. They sell them as great basses in the adds, but an mim jazz bass play's ten times better than a hofner, in my opinion. I mean, their a bass, it does the job, but no need to pay that much money for what it's worth.
  19. :D I just calls em as I sees em.
  20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I had the opportunity to compare a Hofner with a Rogue copy a few days ago (I posted a thread about it a few days ago) and I feel that the Hofner is a completely inadequate instrument nowadays, from its string spacing to its scale length to its suspicious intonation past the 12th fret. The G string is particularly weak. I don't think Paul ever played that string, to be honest.

It would be an interesting "third bass", but for the cost, It's got to be for die hard die hard fans only.