Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hofner--check out these prices!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Jul 11, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Trip down memory lane...

I was visiting my parents today and was going through some boxes of my stuff from a while back. I ran across a Hofner catalog from 1974. Check out the prices. :eek: (Yes, that's correct--$420 for the 500/1! The $79.50 is for the case). Also note that all models were available as fretless, as well.

Hofner Catalog

I also found an old Guitar Player magazine (also from '74) with an article about Joe Osborn, and a column by Carol Kaye (Pick vs. Fingers).

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Cool, i am Hofner fan so thanks so much for puting that up for us.I personaly like the newer Hofner Basses as opposed to the vintage pieces, it just seems like their is less stability issues.Hofner instruments have expirence a great deal of inflation

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I bought my Hofner Beatle Bass back in 1965 for $119 including case. I still have it, with all of its battle scars!

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll take three for that price.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

From what i understand Hofners of the 60's were had at such a low price because of Germany's recovering economy. They sure are cool basses.

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I paid $235.00 including the case Canadian for mine in late 1966.

Sweet!