Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hofner clone: Rouge or Essex/Brice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harper, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Please discuss, thanks in advance!

2. I bought a Brice Violin Bass from Rondo Music a couple of months ago and I really like it. I think they are made in the same plant and the Brice is $225 vs $299 for the Rouge. The owner of Rondo is a regular in the forum (read the Essex thread) and seems to really stand behind what he sells. He took good care of me when I had a problem with an SJB62. The quality is very good for the price you pay. Mine came set up perfectly and sounds and plays very well. I honestly like it better than an original Hofner that I used to own and the sound and feel of the Hofner is there for a lot less money.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Brice. The amount of support Kurt gives us here on talkbass is worth the choice. They are probably the exact same bass, but "Brice" on the headstock is a lot nicer than "Rogue". ;)

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would go with the Essex, as it is cheaper than the rogue, and it has a much better reputation than Rogue ever will.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    1) Rouge - The stuff my Mom puts on her face. Comes in a little compact.

2) Essex/Brice - Low priced high quality basses sold by Rondo music. Owner Kurt is a TB legend.

No brainer - for sure! :rolleyes: :D ;)

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    There is about a 99% chance they are exactly the same thing, so go with Rondo. It's the cool thing to do here on TB.

7. Arlech

Arlech

Dec 19, 2002
    Go with the Brice. I own one, and it's a better bass than the Epiphone Viola (which I also owned at one time, and which is more expensive than either the Rogue or Brice). Very well built, very playable, sounds good, and looks great.

As far as whether or not the Rogue and the Brice are the same bass, I asked Kurt this same question. He says the Brice is made in Korea, the Rogue in China. And of course, there's the $25 dollar price difference, and Kurt's customer service to consider.

8. Does Brice no longer make a violin bass? I don't see one on the Rondo music web page...

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

It's da shizzle! :cool:

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If it is not on the site, that means that it is out of stock for the time being. Send Kurt a PM (you can find his name in the Essex Megathread) and ask him if/when another shipment will be coming in. He'll help you out.