1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Club Bass - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickhamptonbass, Jul 5, 2012.

1. rickhamptonbass

rickhamptonbass

Jan 11, 2012
    I have finally found my dream bass. Its a Hofner Black Club Bass 500/2 finished in Black with gold-plated hardware, a black scratch plate and black control plate. They are advertised at around £2000, but I have found a retailer selling one for £499. I have searched the www but can't find out much about this model.
    Any pointers, ideas or is it just too good to be true?
    [​IMG]

2. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Have you actually played the item in question? If so, and if you like, then GET IT NOW.

3. Bassguy61

Bassguy61

Feb 28, 2008
    Pearl, MS
    Are the the prices you quote for the same version? I have a suspicion that the reason for the dramatic lower price is because those are the Contermporay or Icon model. They are made in China, not Germany, though are still very nice instruments for the price. The Icon is full hollow like the German, but has overseas made hardware and electronics. The Conteporary has a sound block in the middle of the body, so it sounds a bit different from the German, but it does have German electronics in it.

4. T'CharleS

T'CharleS

Jul 6, 2008
    France
    At that price point and given the finish I'm 99% sure it's a contemporary.

If ever it's a used german 500/2 without defect it's a steal, a REAL steal and I'll buy it myself if you don't !

Regardless, even if it's a CT, providing it's new, it's still a very good instrument at basically the right price and you may even prefer the CT sound to the original (I don't but most people I know prefer the CT)

So if you played it and liked it : GO BY IT NOW ! :D

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    These were a special run that Hofner offered back in late 2004 and 2005. I seem to remember that only 50 of them were made. 499 Pounds Sterling is a great price for one.

I have a couple of factory photos of one that i"ll post later.

TD