1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Club Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PeterAngell, Nov 1, 2013.

1. PeterAngell

PeterAngell

Feb 12, 2012
    Hi All, just bought myself a lovely German Made Hofner Club Bass 500/2.

I need to get some strings - it comes with Flatwound and I know the bass is short scale, but I have no idea whether the strings are long or short scale or the gauge - can any one help?

I have a gig in a couple of weeks so need some spares...

2. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    It's a short scale. Some prefer to buy 'short scale strings'. My first bass was a Hofner 500/1 and I have used long scale strings without issues. You just trim them and wind them.

You pick the gauges as you like. Somewhere between .40 - 100 or .45 - .105 would suit, any heavier and you'd probably have to adjust the neck.

3. PeterAngell

PeterAngell

Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks, I've measured the existing strings, and from the ball to the start of the silk it is 34 inches. Someone said the hole in the tailpiece can only accommodate strings up to .100 - is that correct?

4. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Pyramid strings are the correct OEM replacement for this bass.

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That's a short scale bass, but you need medium scale strings for it. Short scale strings will be too short.

I suggest Pyramid or La Bella flats made for Hofners. Rounds sound great on these, too, but few want rounds on the Hofners.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 love em

7. PeterAngell

PeterAngell

Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks for all your help. I ordered the Pyramid short scale 40-100s and they fit perfectly. Whilst the order was in the post I asked the vendor in Germany to confirm they were correct - I got one email saying they were correct, then the next day another email saying that I needed the long scale version (40-105). Thankfully they do fit so I won't need to return them....

8. Mister Mo

Mister Mo

Apr 22, 2016
    May I add a question to this ancient thread?

I have a Höfner Club Ignition, the China version, and want to replace the old strings with flats.

I play a lot of Grunge, and it might be important to choose strings that have a rich, deep tone despite the short length.

Which strings fit, and which are a good compromise between sound and price?

9. onestring

onestring

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, CA
    This is a really old thread!

I've tried a few sets on my Club. The LaBella 760-FHB2 set sounds really good and they fit perfectly. The specs might appear to be on the light side at 39 56 77 96 but they have plenty of tension (they are not floppy at all, you can hit them pretty aggressively--I love that you are playing grunge on a Chinese Hofner, BTW) and they bring the instrument to life in a nice way.

I liked feel of the Pyramids a lot under my fingers but they never really satisfied tone-wise, then the E string broke for no apparent reason.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Just to second the motion. Hofners take medium scale strings.

11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Epi EA-260 Bass.JPG Yes, almost all short scale basses with floating bridges and trapeze tailpieces - like my Epi EA-260 - will need Medium length strings. And even though they're called short scale strings, the Thomastik-Infeld and Pyramid strings were/are made for this kind of bass, and are actually the same length as medium scale strings for that reason. I say "almost all", because there are exceptions.
    Broadkaster.JPG Because my short scale Gretsch Broadkaster is so big, physically, very few medium scale strings will fit it. It usually has to use long scale strings...:wideyed:

And, yes, Hofner's can be fussy about string gauges that are larger than the ones they think you should use. Some people have had to ream the holes in the tailpiece out a little to accommodate some strings. And, the little guitar-style tuners can impose an upper limit, too.. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019