1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hofner club bass ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p-time bass guy, Jun 28, 2007.

1. p-time bass guy

p-time bass guy Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    i have the urge to own a hofner club bass, never played one. looking at photos it appears the stings are so high from the body it may be uncomfortable to play.
    any words of wisdom?

2. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I've played a couple. Don't know what you are looking at with the strings setting high off the bass. They are similar in play and sound to Beatle basses - just without the identifiable profile. Hofners are very light, with slim necks (short scale obviously). Players who are accustomed to standard size and scale, solid body basses are often thrown off by how light Hofners are. They require a bit lighter touch to get a good sound from than solid bodies.

3. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Same bass as the violin only diffirent shape.
    High strings can be adjusted just like any other bass........

4. p-time bass guy

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    thanks for the reply. re: high strings .. at the pick up it seems the strings are much further away from the body compared to my other basses. just wondering about hand placement.

5. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    On pretty much any bass the height of the strings can be adjusted, usually by the owner, and with minimal fuss. Check the Setup forum for some good instruction - keep in mind that the term for string height is "action" in guitar and bass circles (i.e. "high action" vs. "low action")

6. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Well yes, actually the strings are higher away from the body on the Hofner then most basses.
    The pick guard should compensate for that since it is elevated off the body, if you use a pick.
    I mostly used the neck pick up, to anchor my thumb, when playing with my fingers.
    I removed the pick guard on mine, as many owners do,
    I did not find it a problem, even in that state.
    More just a matter of adapting ones self.

7. p-time bass guy

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    hey! thanks for the reply. I guess i will go ahead with my search. (others thought i was talking about action. i'll be more careful with my wording.) i assume the club string height at the pick ups the same as a beatle bass. one of my basses is a Allen Woody. kind of a knock off club but .. i think i will prefer the smaller and lighter body of the club.
    How about the bridge? does it move often and/or cause tuning issues?
    my main bass is a Jazz S-1. i bring a Pbass Special (jazz neck) as a back up (a Ric 4003 on order since 12/06.) i have thought about the club for a yr but never was able to hold one. i also like the look of the EB0 but again never played one.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021