1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Contemporary 185

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Righteous Thunderer, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Hey all, just want to preface this with the disclaimer that I did indeed attempt the Search function and also scrolled through a few pages of the Hofner Club thread, but to no avail; I also tried just using Google to find reviews, but couldn't find much.

These are on sale on Hellomusic for a good bit under $200 (after the 20% off first purchase promo), anyone have one or have experience with one. I'm looking for a four string on the cheap and am looking for deals, and this doesn't look like a bad one.

2. Sooooo... does no one have any experience with these?

3. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's not 20%, it's $20.
    Don't know anything about the bass.

4. Yeah, I figured that out when I went through with the "buy now" bit to find out how much shipping is, thanks for the info though!

5. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Never played one, but looks great though

6. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012

7. I had seen that, my only issue with it is that he plays up on the neck with his right hand, a position that I tend to use to get a really thuddy, woody sound out of my basses, and I'd like to hear how it sounds played in more of a "standard" position.

8. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    If you make it out to LA area, they're in stock at Norm's in Tarzana. I played one for a quick minute, but it seemed like a cool bass, at least worth the HM price, IMO.

I'd want to swap those rinkydink tuners out, though, if for no reason other than appearance.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I bought one on eBay for a good price I have been reading where they are really good for the price and louder than the ones from the 60's it has a nice vintage sound and look