1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Contemporary Club Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ivan Cryptosis, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ivan Cryptosis

Ivan Cryptosis

Nov 28, 2007
    I picked up one of the new Hofner Contemporary Club basses the other day. I must say they are very nice. The first thing was to get those damn round wound strings off. I put on a set of Thomastik-Infeld flats. They are nice but I still prefer the Hofner flats. The TI's play and sound well but are a bit softer than I am used to. I purchased a black club. The fit and finish are well done. The only difference you will notice is that when shown on various web pages they are showing a German made with black pickguard and control plate. The Contemporary comes with white pearloid. I have owned several German Clubs and I must say the Contemporary feels much sturdier and more substantial. I found that on the three German Clubs I have owned I ended up chasing the neck back and forth and constantly having to adjust the truss rod. It had nothing to do with weather but rather the weak necks and structure. On the Contemporary I made the adjustment and it has held its ground 3 days now and stays in tune. It reminded me a bit of the Epiphone Woody Allen, however I prefer the more compact club bass. Electronics are standard Hofner German fare and sounds as expected. Two draw backs. No hardcases are available and there are no more left at Hofner USA. There were very few released. What you are seeing out there is it for a bit. If you need one now spend the $699 you see on Ebay. I don't think you will be disappointed. Oh yes, there are 3 colors out there. Black, Tobacco Sunburst, and Cherry.

Attached Files:

2. Very nice! I think I see one of those in my future.

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Thanks for the feedback on the Club. I've been waiting for the Contemporary Club and now that it's out, I'm heavy into paying for a Guild M-85, so I'll have to defer the Club for a little bit. I'd be curious how you thought the Club compares to the Woody. I bought a Woody a year ago and really like the sound and feel. It has found its way onto more gigs than I would have predicted, string with LaBella flats. It's light enough, but substantial - plus a great deal for the $$. I like the idea that the Club is more compact, but ideally would like to find it replaces the Allen Woody in my world. :p

4. Ivan Cryptosis

Ivan Cryptosis

Nov 28, 2007
    I like the Club Bass a lot better than the Woody Allen. Fit and finish are comparable. Playing standing or sitting is more manageable. It has that Guild look about it. I forgot about the 85. It reminds me of the Hagstrom Swede bass at half the weight. The Club is better balanced hanging on a strap. I play short scales with a pick and as such the Club plays as smooth as a 6 string Les Paul. The Hofner pickups are stronger than the Woody Allen too. I just saw a cherry one and a black one on Ebay BIN is $799.00. Wow!!! I'd like to make $300.00 but I'm keeping mine. I think a lot of people have been waiting for these and most dealers are getting a premium price. Even at $799 a person who really wants one will buy it. It is so nice I think it will kill the market for German Club basses.

5. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
  6. Ivan Cryptosis

Ivan Cryptosis

Nov 28, 2007
    I live near the voxshowroom/northcoast and know Gary. He is a pleasure to do business with and an interesting guy. I did talk to him a few weeks ago. He states he does not plan to offer the Contemporary Club Bass.

7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Thanks for the info, Ivan. Interesting that Northcoast doesn't plan to carry the new Club. I'm sorely tempted to spring for one and just sell off some stuff, but I hate to bring on two really special basses at the same time (spoils some of the enjoyment). Where do you live? I'm in Greenfield (just west of MKE city boundary).

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I love Club basses! Yours is beautiful, enjoy it.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very cool, those are great basses ! A bit more comfortable then the violin bass. :bassist:

10. super-cabbage

super-cabbage

May 5, 2009
    the contemporay violin bass has no straplock by the neck, is it the same on here?