1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Contemporary Club bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3tsb, May 20, 2011.

1. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    I did a search, but couldn't find definitive answer. Where are the contemporary series made? Are they decent? $599 compared to the to the $2399.00 German made seems like good deal. Too bad I missed one on ebay a couple weeks ago. $910.00 Brand new w/ tags and case! I still have it saved on my ebay.:bawl:

2. Bassguy61

Bassguy61

Feb 28, 2008
    Pearl, MS
    If it's at all like the Comtemporary Beatle Bass, they're made in China using German pickups. I had one of the Contemprary Beatles basses for a while, and for the money, I thought it was great. A few minor finish flaws, but nothing major. Played and sounded great.

3. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Contemporary = Indonesian.made (but German PU), Ignition series = Chinese build (and Chinese PU).

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You have that backwards my friend. The CT's are made in China and the Ignition's are made in Indonesia. The Icon's were made in China.

TD

5. Yeah Chinese made and I'm sure they're good basses. Some people say the center block is bad because it fights the note decay people want from a Hofner, but I have a few basses like that and with some aged flats I think it's able to cop virtually the same tone as the full hollow body Hofners.

6. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Sorry, but I've been having the same difficulty trying to find the answer about this. A popular German online musicstore doesn't state where they're made anymore, and every store that has them I've visited takes off the little sticker that's on the back of the neck... Figured China would be the cheaper one of the two, but this changes my mind on wich one I'll be getting then!

7. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    The Hofner CT sounds great, but there is a subtle hollow body boominess that the icon and German Hofners have which the CT's don't. I'm not sure anyone but a bassist would notice it, but I've gotten many more compliments on the sound of the Icon than on the CT - people impressed at how "big" or "deep" it sounds.