SOLD Hofner CT 500/1

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by iriegnome, Mar 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Price:
    Strings:
    Left-Handed?:
    • Yes
    I have here a As New Hofner HCT-500/1 project bass. She is virtually brand new. Everything is in great condition. Everything works. Fine Hofner German pickups. Beautiful bass.
    The neck needs to be reset or reattached whatever you want to call it.
    It is all original and complete. I picked it up thinking I wanted another project, but you all know how that goes. It sits and sits and then I lost interest. Like I said, this is in almost new condition just needs the neck reset. Please see the pictures. Asking $500 obo + shipping
    IMAG0585_zps8cjjl0pm.gif
    IMAG0583_zpsxqyznoc2.gif
    IMAG0584_zpsty6o3hqt.gif
    IMAG0583_zpsxqyznoc2.gif
    IMAG0596_zps1ahk81nv.gif
    IMAG0595_zps1jtwyeqe.gif
    IMAG0594_zps3uwezhye.gif
    IMAG0592_zpsjfysjj4z.gif

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am looking for a best offer on this bass. I did not know where exactly to start so I put in a number. Hit me up with an offer. I am pretty open and am looking to sell

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    How about $450 + shipping? I am pretty motivated btw

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I will include a set of new strings... Any offer considered

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Offer Pending

6. Was wondering what happened? It must have been an awful "CRACK" sound...

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I got it like this, so I am not sure

8. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well the offer fell through, so back up it goes!

9. blackbass

blackbass

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    Well, I bought this bass for $250 on eBay. No bridge, pickguard, or strings.
    I figured the neck and hardware itself was worth that.
    I'll post some pictures of some of the steps I went through to fix this.

First, you can see the difference between the German Hofner and the CT made in China.

Then the point where the neck attaches to the body. The neck was attached mostly with glue
    on a 1x2" space on the top of the body, with a piece of plastic trim in between the neck and the spruce block
    with two screws holding the neck to the spruce block.

I removed the plastic and cleaned up the neck for reattachment. Then cut out the plywood part of the body
    where the neck was originally glue on. I then glued (not shown) a piece of cherry wood (the hardest wood I could find)
    to the spruce block in place of the body plywood.

Since the plastic took up space between the body and neck, I wanted to maintain the distance for scale.
    So then I glued another piece of cherry wood 1/16" thick on the neck to take the place of the plastic.
    Repaired where the screws were removed and broke the wood out. Sanded everything smooth.

I had previously thought about attaching a wooden shoe to the neck and cut out a mortise joint in the body (like the German model) and reattach the neck,
    but thought that would be more things I could screw up.

My main concern at this point was ensuring the neck was straight when I glued it on.
    but I did glue it on. I used hide glue which was a bit fiddly to get used to. I used a C clamp to clamp the top of the neck to the body
    and a cinch strap to keep the neck tight from the back and crossed my fingers.

Everything looked good when I took it apart and it was as straight as I could have made it without a special jig, or previous experience.

I need to make the trim for the top of the body and the cover where the screws were, and where the strap button went.
    I tried using the original trim, but I didn't like the way that looked, so I made one from a piece of plastic from the back of an old strat.
    Since the trim had been lacquered before and after the neck was attached, I need to match the color.
    I used some Ivory Testor's model paint to accomplish that. You can see the color difference, but I painted the small cover too.

I'm into this bass for the initial $250, $50, for the bridge (an authentic left handed Hofner bridge),
    $30 for flatwound strings and another $50 for a hardshell case.
    I feel $380 for a Hofner CT500/1 (made in China)is a pretty good price and probably in better condition,
    with better sound than other CT500/1 basses due to the neck being glued directly to the center block of spruce.
    I have no plans to sell this bass, so I'm good. Pictures...

Body-neck-joint-differences.jpg
    Neck-body attach point.jpg
    Neck-attached.jpg
    cut-neck-trim.jpg
    trim-fitted-on.jpg
    handmade-trim-pieces-.jpg

The final outcome.

Finished-Hofner.jpg
    Finished-Hofner-back.jpg
    Finished-Hofner-front.jpg Finished-Hofner-top-back.jpg
    Not the best, but not bad for my first try at repairing one of these.

t-ray and iriegnome like this.
  10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    so you must have bought it from my guitarist?? He is the one who had it, if this is the same bass! Did it come from the Milwaukee, WI area? Very cool to see it up and running

11. jimtone

jimtone

Feb 23, 2012
    I owned a new HCT 500/1 lefty that had the same "manufacturing defect" and it snapped apart very quietly while changing the round strings to flats when it was 13 months old (one month out of warranty). I contacted Hofner thru the web page and they asked me to contact Rob Olson in New Jersey for a quality inspection, I sent my photos which were identical to the ones you posted and he sent me a return auth. and prepaid shipping labels to the North American Custom Shop where they offered to fix it or replace the bass with a new one, I picked the new bass as this bass in your photos has NO NECK JOINT and repairing it with a flat glue surface at the neck block/sustain block is not a good idea. And routing a neck pocket into the sustain block is better but a dowled neck block would have to be attached to the heel. Hofner advertises that the neck set is the SAME AS THE GERMAN 500/1 bass and what we got was some crazy Monday build? Hofner is contracting the building of the HCT and Ignition models to Asian contractors with the finished instruments having a quality inspection in Germany, but they'd have to X-Ray the neck joint to know what these CLOWNS did to it while representing Hofners name. I was the original owner and quoted to Hofner the listings that described the Hofner claim of the neck set being the same. The problem with that neck joint in your photos is there is no neck joint and Hofners violin style neck joint is weak enough when it's done correctly much less when some unhappy luthier having a bad day goes that route!

12. blackbass

blackbass

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    Hi Jim, Thanks for the input.
    I had thought about the dowled neck block as well, but this would lead to an alignment problem.
    I don't have the accurate tools to have done that. So I did glue the neck to the flat surface, and everything seems to be holding well, sounds good, and holds a tuning
    Should the neck come off again, I'll post the pictures here.
    I did email Hofner with pictures, and got no reply. Besides, I'm at least the second owner.

13. jimtone

jimtone

Feb 23, 2012
    I'd guess they didn't feel obligated for a second hand owner as I met another guy with a right hand HCT that they shrugged off also with the same jointless neck. Can you imagine anyone thinking those 2 wood screws could have held the neck glued over that sheet of plastic?? Quality control is not worth mentioning in the China facility. The HCT 500/1 bass is a great package if you are lucky enough to have gotten one that was built the way Hofner intended. I saw 2 early HCT with the neck coming off to find that the poly finish was sprayed into the neck pocket before the neck joint was glued into it? There is no way that hide glue will stick to poly finish.