1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner guys, any adjustable bridges available??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Edword, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Is there any such thing as an adjustable replacement bridge for a 500/1 Beatle Bass out there?

TIA

BassLover668 likes this.
  2. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    Not that I've seen. Are you having trouble with intonation? I don't think I would want any more metal in the bridge as it affects the tone transfer to the body.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unnecessary. Because of the way notes decay and drop in pitch with a Hofner, intonation is "close enough for rock and roll." You can get real particular about it and move those little fret pieces in the bridge around, but I find it not to be necessary. Just intonate the E and G string and the A and D will be close, and tune up by hitting a note on the 5th fret for each string, and it should be good to go.

4. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree, it's unnecessary if you tweak with the bridge a bit. I remember seeing Sir Paul's bridge angled back on the bass side some. The stock bridge has a lot to do with the Hofner sound, I wouldn't mess with it myself.

OTH, the bridge on my old 60's Eko Violin Bass has a wooden base with a tuneomatic style bridge loaded on the top. Works really well, a snap to intonate.

5. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks for the tips, but there's much I haven't explained.

What I'm trying to do is utilize the neck of a Hofner 500/6 in a project I'm planning..

Hofner500_6.

AFAICT, the neck has the same width and scale as a Beatle Bass's, hence the reference. I want to have Warmoth make a solid body for it, probably based on their "SG Bass"..

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/VintageShapes/SGBass.aspx

What I need is hardware that I can use with a solid body + the really narrow Hofner neck. IMO the hardest part to find would be the bridge.

BTW, the reasons I'm not just restoring the 500/6 are that I'm left-handed and would have to modify the body of the Hof (don't want to), and also that the body is pretty cracked up and unstable. I recently took it to Elderly Instruments, and they told me the body was junk but the neck could be used. That's what gave me the idea for the replacement body.

6. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    I'd toss that question to Warmoth. I'm sure they may have something to recommend for that neck width .

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Would a Gibson bridge be too big?

8. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I'll see if I can find measurements somewhere, but I also thought of using a Gibson bridge if it'll work out string-spacing wise.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Between moving the saddles "frets" to different slots and tilting the bridge, I haven't had much in the way of problems intonating a Hofner.

Recently I've built up several narrow necked (like Vox Hawk IV and narrower) DIYs with close string spacing and I've made simple stick bridges for them that work fine.

10. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Recently I made a semi akoustic bass and for the bridge I decided to go for a Hofner-style bridge.

DSC01173.

DSC01175.

Here you see it on the bass and you can see that the saddle for the E and A-string are in the same slot.

This way the intonation is perfect!

DSC01362k.

El Pelusa likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You made that? Wow! Nice!

12. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks for the ideas, and nice work making the bridges!

13. Wow. Nice. Indeed. TBers, check out TonH's Web site. Follow his profile to the link. I only spent time with the "Baxx VI" so far. Most impressive. I wonder how his instruments play.

14. punkrats

punkrats

Dec 13, 2012
    Edword. If you are going to part out the 500/6 I would like to buy the pots and a pickup if you have one.I aquired a 500/6 that is missing the pot nuts and knobs, has one bad pot and one bad pickup. I'd like to get it in playing condition. jralston@rionet.org